(YELLOWKNIFE – February 23, 2016) Premier Bob McLeod named Ms. Kelly Kaylo as acting Deputy Minister of the Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment (ITI) today. Ms. Kaylo replaces Mr. Peter Vician, who is retiring from the Government of the Northwest Territories after 34 years of service. The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) has undertaken an executive search process to identify a permanent replacement for Mr. Vician.
“Ms. Kaylo is a long-term northerner with a wealth of management experience in both the private and public sectors. I welcome her to her new position and look forward to the continuity she will provide in leading ITI’s important work to grow and diversify the NWT economy. I would also like to thank outgoing Deputy Minister Peter Vician, who has provided exemplary service to the NWT in his 34 years with the GNWT, including 17 years as Deputy Minister. ”
- Bob McLeod – Premier of the Northwest Territories
- Ms. Kaylo joined the GNWT in January 2012 as Assistant Deputy Minister of ITI with 30 years of experience in the areas of transportation, tourism, mining, oil and gas and small business.
- Ms. Kaylo has been chair of the Tourism Marketing Advisory Council for the NWT and a member of the Aboriginal Tourism Champions Advisory Council. She has previously been President of the NWT Chamber of Commerce and Vice-Chair of the NWT Power Corporation.
- Mr. Vician joined the GNWT in 1982 and has held senior management positions in the Departments of Transportation; Resources, Wildlife and Economic Development (RWED) and ITI.
- Mr. Vician was the first Deputy Minister of ITI, following the division of RWED into separate departments in April 2005.
- Mr. Vician was the inaugural winner of the Commissioner’s Award for Excellence in Public Service in 2015, an award established by the NWT Regional Group of the Institute of Public Administration in Canada (IPAC) to recognize a public sector practitioner whose career exhibits the highest standard of excellence, dedication and accomplishment.
Senior Cabinet Communications Advisor
Department of Executive
Government of the Northwest Territories
Tel: 867-767-9140 ext. 11092