YELLOWKNIFE (September 2, 2016) – Premier Bob McLeod today announced the following changes to the Executive Council:
- Minister Robert C. McLeod assumes responsibility for the Department of Environment and Natural Resources and Department of Human Resources. He continues as Deputy Premier and Minister of Finance.
- Minister Glen Abernethy assumes responsibility for the Workers’ Safety and Compensation Commission and for the Public Utilities Board. He continues as Minister of Health and Social Services, Minister Responsible for Seniors, Minister Responsible for Persons with Disabilities and Government House Leader.
- Minister Caroline Cochrane assumes responsibility for the Department of Municipal and Community Affairs. She continues as Minister Responsible for the Northwest Territories Housing Corporation, Minister Responsible for the Status of Women and Minister Responsible for Addressing Homelessness.
- Minister Wally Schumann assumes responsibility for the Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment and the Department of Public Works and Services. He continues as Minister of Transportation.
- Minister Louis Sebert assumes responsibility for the Department of Lands. He continues as Minister of Justice, Minister Responsible for the Northwest Territories Power Corporation, and Minister Responsible for Public Engagement and Transparency.
Premier McLeod retains his responsibilities as Minister of the Executive and Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Intergovernmental Relations. Minister Alfred Moses continues as Minister of Education, Culture and Employment and Minister Responsible for Youth.
The Premier also announced that Mr. Jeff Anderson is retiring from his position as President of the Northwest Territories Housing Corporation and thanked him for his more than 30 years of service. Mr. Tom Williams, currently Deputy Minister of Municipal and Community Affairs, will replace Mr. Anderson. Ms. Eleanor Young will be acting Deputy Minister of Municipal and Community Affairs.
“With a clear mandate to guide us and preparations underway for the second year of our term, including consideration of potential restructuring options, today’s changes will help position Cabinet to deliver on its commitments and fulfill the priorities of the 18th Legislative Assembly.”
- Bob McLeod, Premier of the Northwest Territories
- Under the Legislative Assembly and Executive Council Act (LAEC Act), the Executive Council is composed of a Premier chosen by the Legislative Assembly and persons appointed by the Commissioner on the advice of the Legislative Assembly.
- The Commissioner, on the advice of the Premier, may appoint Ministers from among the Members of the Executive Council. The Commissioner may also revoke appointments as Minister on the advice of the Premier.
- The Executive Council is responsible for the overall management and direction of the executive government of the Northwest Territories, including matters of policy.
- All ministerial portfolio changes take effect at 5:00 p.m. on September 2, 2016.
Legislative Assembly and Executive Council Act
Executive Council Submissions Handbook
Senior Cabinet Communications Advisor
Department of Executive
Government of the Northwest Territories
Tel: 867-767-9140 ext. 11091