YELLOWKNIFE (November 16, 2016) – Premier Bob McLeod met with the Kátł’odeeche First Nation, Chief Roy Fabian and Councilors in Yellowknife yesterday morning.
This was the inaugural meeting of the Kátł’odeeche First Nation and the Government of the Northwest Territories since they signed the Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding on September 1, 2016.
Premier McLeod and Chief Fabian agreed that the inaugural meeting was a great first step to enhancing their government-to-government relationship. The meeting provided a venue for open discussion on issues that directly impact the Kátł’odeeche First Nation and the Northwest Territories.
The meeting focused on areas of mutual interest, including:
- Status of Hay River Reserve as a Municipal Government. The GNWT and KFN agree to look at options for the municipal issues on the Hay River Reserve.
- Federal First Nation Program Funding to Hay River Dene Reserve. The GNWT and KFN will meet to discuss off-reserve and on-reserve funding and plan future discussions with Canada, including opportunities to access federal funding for reserves.
- Off-Reserve Land & Resource Management was discussed and the GNWT and KFN agreed to work collaboratively on resource management initiatives beyond the Reserve.
- The GNWT and KFN agree to continue working collaboratively to advance the Wellness Centre Proposal.
- The GNWT and KFN discussed concerns on boreal caribou management.
- Discussion occurred on the Great Slave Lake Commercial Fisheries Revitalization Strategy and potential KFN involvement in that strategy.
- The GNWT provided KFN an updated on the Skills 4 Success Framework & Action Plan.
- An update on GNWTs current Fiscal situation was provided to KFN.
- The GNWT provided an update on Federal/Provincial/Territorial Meetings.
- Strengthening relationships with Aboriginal governments is a priority of the 18th Legislative Assembly.
- The Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding recognizes the importance of the government-to-government relationship between the Kátł’odeeche First Nation and the GNWT.
- The agreement commits both governments to meet once a year.
For more information, contact:
Senior Cabinet Communications Advisor
Government of the Northwest Territories
867-767-9140 ext. 11091
Director of Lands, Resources, and Negotiations
Kátł’odeeche First Nation