Environmental Health Officer
Open until filled
Location: Hay River
Department: HSS D - Environmental Health
Job Code: 15279
Wage: See "Salary Information" below.
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
The Department of Health and Social Services works under the direction of the Minister and Deputy Minister, in partnership with the Health and Social Services Authorities, to support the health and wellbeing of people across the NWT through planning, development, evaluation and reporting on program and service delivery.
HSS is committed to the development and provision of quality services in such a way as to make the best use of public resources, ensure the sustainability of the system, focus on client safety and best practices and promote positive health and social outcomes. HSS strives to continually improve the health and social service system to ensure best health, best care, and a better future for the people of the NWT.
Reporting to the Chief Environmental Health Officer (Chief EHO), the EHO is appointed a Public Health Officer under the Public Health Act and Inspector under the Tobacco Control Act. By virtue of these appointments and a delegation of responsibilities received from the Chief Public Health Officer, the incumbent has a stationary duty to enforce these Acts and accompanying regulations. The EHO works independently and can perform their duties in all regions of the NWT.
THE EHO serves as a technical expert for the GNWT on environmental public health matters. The EHO implements environmental public health programs for drinking water, food service and supply, and communicable disease investigation and control, air quality, solid and liquid waste disposal, community and environmental sanitation, recreational water safety, tobacco control, personal services (piercing, branding, tattoos, hair and nail establishments), disaster/emergency preparedness and response, injury prevention, environmental planning and impact analysis, long-range and local environmental contaminants, and control of any conditions likely to become injurious to public health. Program delivery occurs in settings such as restaurants, child care facilities, rental housing, water treatment plants, waste disposal sites, work camps, tourist facilities, public and non-public spaces.
EHO's are also assigned program areas or files to lead in order to build expertise and ensure continuity of program delivery within the Environmental Health Unit.
Critical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Highly specialized technical knowledge of environmental health
- Thorough knowledge of relevant legislation, policy and standards
- Working knowledge of the judicial process
- Decision making skills to act independently and to take appropriate action in relation to potential or existing immediate health hazards
- Knowledge of the use of testing equipment and computer programs
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural setting
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Health recognized by the board of Certification, Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors.
- Certification as a Public Health Inspector in Canada is mandatory
- Active membership in good standing with the CIPHI is required
- Continuous professional education is required to maintain competency and certification as a Public Health Inspector in Canada
- Demonstrated 2 years of direct experience in delivery of environmental public health programs within the last 3 years
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 15279
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Salary for this position is currently Under Review.
Hay River HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
#209, 62 Woodland Drive
HAY RIVER, NT X0E 1G1
Ph. (867) 874-5085
Fax (867) 874-5095
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
This job opening is for a 2 Year Term