Speech Language Pathologist (Multiple positions)
Inuvik HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
INUVIK, NT X0E 0T0
Ph. (867) 678-6600
Fax (867) 678-6620
Lying on the cusp of the northern frontier, 200KM north of the Arctic Circle, is the community of Inuvik. Within that small and welcoming community of 3,200 residents awaits an opportunity for a qualified Speech Language Pathologist. The successful candidate will be an integral part of the close knit team aiming to provide innovative methods and therapy structures that deliver effective speech and language services in a very unique setting to more than 10,000 residents.
Speech Language Pathologists have the option to live and work for a variety of organizations. A few reasons why we think you should consider the Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority:
• Travel - you’ll have the opportunity to travel via small plane or over the ice road to remote and isolated communities within the Beaufort Delta and Sahtu regions of the NWT
• Scope of Practice - there is a significant percentage of work that the successful candidate will be completing independently which lends itself to developing a wide range of skills to solve the variety of speech issues you might encounter
• Mentorship - training and mentorship will be provided for new graduates, as well as to experienced clinicians, by a SLP with more than 20 years of experience working within the Arctic
• Training - the incumbent can apply for up to $3,550 in professional development funding for courses related to your career
• Compensation - the annual salary range starts at $87,263 and goes up to $104,208 plus a northern living allowance of $13,924.
• Benefits - the GNWT offers a health and dental plan, a defined pension, 16.5 days of annual leave earned in the first year of employment and various other types of leave earned on an hourly basis
• Relocation - the GNWT will arrange and pay for relocation fees for the successful candidate
Speech Language Pathologists often have the option to practice in a number of large Canadian cities but this role offers benefits beyond what you might find anywhere else in Canada. The community of Inuvik is also home to one of the most northern greenhouses in the world and is very family friendly with plenty of year round outdoor activities for family members of all ages. The community provides an abundance of fresh air, minimal (ie: No) traffic and some of the shortest commutes in the country.
If you’ve completed a Masters level degree in Speech Language Pathology and this opportunity, community and lifestyle sound appealing to you please visit our website for more information and to submit your application https://www.gov.nt.ca/careers/en
This job opening is for a One Year Term with a possibility of an extension.
Eligible for membership with Speech- Language and Audiology Canada and be professionally licensed is mandatory for this position.
For more information on health and social services careers and practicing in the Northwest Territories please visit www.practicenorth.ca .
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary for this position starts at $44.75 per hour (approximately $87,263.00 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $13,924.00.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 15697
Closing Date: Open till Filled
The successful candidate will be required to obtain proof of current up-to-date immunization status.