Community Health Nurse Full Time
Open until filled
Location: Fort Good Hope
Department: NTHSSA SA Health Centres
Job Code: 15942
Salary: $98,046 - $114,134
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
The Territorial Health and Social Services Authority (THSSA) works under the direction of the Minister of Health and Social Services, in partnership with the Deputy Minister, Health and Social Services and the Health and Social Services regions, to support the health and wellbeing of people across the Northwest Territories through planning, development, deliver, evaluation and reporting on program and service delivery.
THSSA is committed to the development and provision of quality services in such a way as to make the best use of public resources, ensure the sustainability of the system, focus on client safety and best practices and promote positive health and social outcomes. THSSA strives to continually improve the health and social service system to ensure best health, best care, and a better future for the people of the NWT.
Our mission is to work with people to optimize wellbeing through the provision of collaborative and culturally appropriate health and social services.
Located within the Cassien Edgi Health Centre, and reporting directly to the Nurse in Charge (NIC), the Community Health Nurse (CHN), delivers core community health services to residents in Fort Good Hope. The Health Centre is the sole health and social services facility in the community. The Cassien Edgi Health Centre also provides services to a visiting transient population and out of territory clients.
In Fort Good Hope, the CHN/ NIC will be required to provide on-call coverage, on a rotational basis, during the evening and weekends to provide emergency nursing care. Nurses also provide emergency transportation as per policy within the community.
KNOWLEDGE. SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• The CHN must have a working knowledge of and an ability to apply and assess the nursing process (assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation) and current nursing practice (community health nursing, including public health and home care) to ensure that the client's physical, emotional, psychosocial, spiritual and educational needs are met.
• A knowledge of and an ability to apply sanctioned transferable medical functions as outlined in the Nursing Administration Manual's standards, policies and guidelines (i.e. pap smears).
• An ability to operate and/or use standard medical equipment (such as but not limited to
- ECG, peripheral IV pumps and lines, stretchers, thermometers, NG tubes, sphygmomanometer, blood glucose monitors, suction tubes, sharps, pulse oximeter, x ray machine, etc.).
• An understanding of and an ability to perform basic laboratory functions such as but not limited to: ESR, HGB, blood smears, pregnancy tests, various swab specimens, the preparation of specimens for culture and sensitivity, ECGs and quality control of laboratory machinery, in accordance to Canadian Laboratory Standards.
• An ability to perform radiological examinations (X-rays) of the chest and extremities and transmit for reading via Di-Pacs computerization.
• An ability to apply and remove casts or splints, emergency stabilization equipment.
• Knowledge of and ability to operate computer applications (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel and electronic medical records) in order to complete training materials and presentations, electronic GNWT email, scheduling of appointments and maintenance of health records (iEHR and EMR, Di-Pacs), Share Point NTHSSA for internal messages, forms, links, and the internet in order to conduct on-line research and People Soft (employment records).
• An ability to educate clients and their families (where applicable) on appropriate self care methods and techniques.
Typically. the above qualifications would be attained by:
A Degree in Nursing, 2 years of recent nursing experience with one year in a Community Health Centre, as a Community Health Nurse.
Equivalency Knowledge & Experience: Registered Nurse Diploma Program, 4 years of recent nursing experience with one year in a Community Health Centre, as a Community Health Nurse.
Recent nursing experience is define as a total of full time hours in the past 5 years
Community Health Centre is define in the NWT as a level A, 8 or 8/C facility or equivalency for other provinces and territories
Driver's License Requirement
A mandatory requirement for this position is a valid Class 5 Driver's License.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary for this position starts at $49.02 per hour (approximately $95,589.00. per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 15942 Closing Date: Open until filled.
Sahtu HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
#2 McKenzie Drive
NORMAN WELLS, NT X0E 0V0
Ph. (867) 587-7150
Fax (867) 587-2173