Support Assistant (.8 FTE)
Closing date: Nov 16, 2018
Department: South Slave DEC
Job Code: 16236
Salary: $60,762 - $72,540
About the Job
This job opening is limited to residents living within 25 kilometres of Lutsel K'e, NT.
The Support Assistant (SA) is responsible for assisting with implementing specialised and modified learning and education activities in order to provide a positive learning experience for students with special needs and/or who require additional attention. The SA is responsible for working with students either individually or in small groups to provide academic assistance in mainly core areas such as math and reading. The SA is also responsible for ensuring that special needs/additional needs are provided with positive learning environments and have an opportunity to learn effective listening and communicaiton skills and good work habits. The SA is responsible for assisting with implementation of Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) so that students are provided with a learning environment that promotes a sense of accomplishment and self-confidence.
The SA has the following responsibilities:
- Deliver appropriate and general learning programs and activities based on students’ needs in order to ensure students have an opportunity for a successful learning experience
- Assist with preparing specialized learning activities including Individualized Education Plans for special needs/additional needs students
- Prepare reports in consultation with the supervisor(s) concerning student achievements and limitations and communicate with parents in order to provide a realistic perspective on the abilities of each student
- Participate in supervisory and extra-curricular activities in order to provide opportunities for all students to become active in cultural, sport and other activities and events
- Participate in ongoing professional development activities
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are beneficial to the position
- Planning and organization skills
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural setting
- Time management skills
- Effective communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Empathetic to students needs and circumstances
- Demonstrate patience and self control
- Be dependable, self motivated, sound work ethic and a postive role model for students
Typically the above is acquire through completion of grade 12 combined with related experience working with special needs students and experience in an education environment.
This job opening is for a term from June 28, 2019.
This job opening is for a part-time position 30 hours per week (.8 FTE).
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 16236
Closing Date: November 16, 2018 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
The salary for this position starts at $31.16 per hour (approximately $35,522. per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $19,428.
Fort Smith HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
83 Breynat Street
FORT SMITH, NT X0E 0P0
Ph. (867) 872-6500
Fax (867) 872-3298
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector check if they are contacted for an interview. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.