Summer Student Employment Program
Closing date: Aug 15, 2019
Location: Across the NWT
Job Code: 16250
Wage: See "Salary Information" below.
About the Job
The GNWT supports northern post-secondary students in their pursuit of a higher education by offering a summer work opportunity. Under this program students gain valuable work experience to enhance their employment prospects upon graduation.
Northern post-secondary school students are hired as casual employees between April 15 and August 15. During this period, students are given a higher priority over non-student applicants for casual positions.
Students are encouraged to be proactive in their search for employment with the GNWT. In doing so, they should research the GNWT departments with units and divisions related to their field of study. They should also approach managers directly indicating they are interested in working for their department. Hiring for the program is based on the individual needs of Departments, Boards and Agencies, and managers will contact students directly if an opportunity arises.
Summer student placements are available to northern students. A northern student is an individual who is currently enrolled in a full time post-secondary institution or has been accepted to begin full time post-secondary studies 4 months prior to or following the summer student hiring period. The applicant must also fall within one of the following designated groups:
- Is an Indigenous Aboriginal Persons
- Is an Indigenous Non-Aboriginal Persons
- Is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident; and is considered “Ordinarily Resident to the Northwest Territories” for at least 1 year immediately prior to the start of his/her program with a designated post-secondary institution.
How to Apply
- Submit your cover letter, and a current copy of your resume as one document through the Summer Student Employment Program job posting on the GNWT Careers site. Once your application has been submitted, an immediate auto-reply will be forwarded to your email.
- You will be required to provide proof of registration in a post-secondary institution. Please submit this proof directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive another notification once you have been registered for the program, or if additional information is required.
- You will be contacted by a hiring department if a potential match is found.
Helpful Hints for your Application
Your cover letter and resume MUST INCLUDE the following information to be considered:
- Your field of study (Education), type of certification (Diploma/Degree) and the number of years you have completed in your program.
- Your updated contact information including your email address, phone number and address at school AND your permanent NORTHERN residence address.
- Your home community and the communities you are willing to work in for the summer.
- Your Affirmative Action status, if applicable
For more information on the Summer Student Program and eligibility please visit the GNWT Careers Website.
The salary for summer student employment is dependent on duties assigned.
Criminal Records Check
Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal records check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 16250
Closing Date: August 15, 2019 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Management and Recruitment Services
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Yellowknife Centre 5th Floor
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Fax: (867) 873-0445