** Amended ** Community Health Nurse
Open until filled
Department: NTHSSA SA Health Centres
Job Code: 16285
Salary: $98,046 - $114,134
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
The Territorial Health and Social Services Authority (THSSA) works under the direction of the Minister of Health and Social Services, in partnership with the Deputy Minister, Health and Social Services and the Health and Social Services regions, to support the health and wellbeing of people across the Northwest Territories through planning, development, deliver, evaluation and reporting on program and service delivery.
THSSA is committed to the development and provision of quality services in such a way as to make the best use of public resources, ensure the sustainability of the system, focus on client safety and best practices and promote positive health and social outcomes. THSSA strives to continually improve the health and social service system to ensure best health, best care, and a better future for the people of the NWT.
Our mission is to work with people to optimize wellbeing through the provision of collaborative and culturally appropriate health and social services.
Located within the Dora Gully Health Centre, and reporting directly to the Nurse in Charge (NIC), the Community Health Nurse (CHN), delivers core community health services to residents in Deline. The Health Centre is the sole health and social services facility in the community. The Dora Gully Health Centre also provides services to a visiting transient population and out of territory clients.
Community Health Services include providing non-emergency medical care; responding to medical emergencies, within & outside the community, that may require decision making outside of the usual policies, procedures and standards of community health nursing care; and deliver core community health programs designed to promote community health and wellness (i.e. including but not limited to Well-Child/ Adult clinics, pre and post-natal clinics, school health program, chronic disease clinic (non-communicable disease), immunization programs, communicable disease surveillance, treatment (emergency & sick clinic), and Home Care). The provisions of critical incident services are supported by other CHNs/NIC and physician/ NP over the telephone or in person, with further assistance of other health centre staff Promotion & Health Prevention Worker; Mental Health and Addictions Counselor; Child Protection Worker, Home Support Worker.
Services may be provided within the Health Centre, via Tele-health, at the community hall, schools or client's home (i.e. Home Care) and are intended to promote a healthy lifestyle, and a decrease in the incidence of disease, injury, and death. Services may be provided on an individual basis or as part of a multi-disciplinary team. The CHN is a member of the Primary Community Care Team (PCCT), as per the Integrated Service Delivery Model (ISDM).
In Deline, the CHN/NIC will be required to provide on-call coverage, on a rotational basis, during the evening and weekends to provide emergency nursing care. Nurses also provide emergency transportation as per policy within the community.
KNOWLEDGE. SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• The CHN must have a working knowledge of and an ability to apply and assess the nursing process (assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation) and current nursing practice (community health nursing, including public health and home care) to ensure that the client's physical, emotional, psychosocial, spiritual and educational needs are met.
• Knowledge of biological, physical and behavioral sciences in order to recognize, interpret, and prioritize findings; and determine and implement a plan of care based on accepted standards of practice, in the GNWT Dept. of Health.
• The CHN must have an ability to provide emergency care and treatment as the position is required to perform transferred health functions beyond normal hospital training. This includes an ability to perform advanced nursing functions such as but not limited to: suturing, vena-puncture for all age groups and immunization techniques.
• A knowledge of and an ability to apply sanctioned transferable medical functions as outlined in the Nursing Administration Manual's standards, policies and guidelines (i.e. pap smears).
• An ability to operate and/ or use standard medical equipment (such as but not limited to
- ECG, peripheral IV pumps and lines, stretchers, thermometers, NG tubes, sphygmomanometer, blood glucose monitors, suction tubes, sharps, pulse oximeter, x ray machine, etc.).
• An understanding of and an ability to perform basic laboratory functions such as but not limited to: ESR, HGB, blood smears, pregnancy tests, various swab specimens, the preparation of specimens for culture and sensitivity, ECGs and quality control of laboratory machinery, in accordance to Canadian Laboratory Standards.
• An ability to perform radiological examinations (X-rays) of the chest and extremities
and transmit for reading via Di-Pacs computerization.
• An ability to apply and remove casts or splints, emergency stabilization equipment.
• Knowledge of and ability to operate computer applications (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel and electronic medical records) in order to complete training materials and presentations, electronic GNWT email, scheduling of appointments and maintenance of health records (iEHR and EMR, Di-Pacs), Share Point NTHSSA for internal messages, forms, links, and the internet in order to conduct on-line research and People Soft (employment records).
• An ability to educate clients and their families (where applicable) on appropriate self care methods and techniques.
• Knowledge of and an ability to network resources within and outside the NTHSSA (i.e. Social Services, Public Health, medevac teams etc.) in order to ensure support of clients and their families.
• The incumbent must be aware of the importance of confidentiality and be able to keep personal and medical information private and confidential at all times and in accordance to Access to Information legislation & Public Health, WSCC, etc. mandatory reporting.
Typically. the above qualifications would be attained by:
A Degree in Nursing, 2 years of recent nursing experience with one year in a Community Health Centre, as a Community Health Nurse.
Equivalency Knowledge & Experience: Registered Nurse Diploma Program, 4 years of recent nursing experience with one year in a Community Health Centre, as a Community Health Nurse.
Recent nursing experience is define as a total of full time hours in the past 5 years
Community Health Centre is define in the NWT as a level A, B or B/C facility or equivalency for other provinces and territories
Valid Class 5 Driver's License is mandatory
Eligible for current registration/certification with NTHSSA is mandatory for this position.
For more information on health and social services careers and practicing in the Northwest Territories please visit www.practicenorth.ca
Driver's License Requirement
A mandatory requirement for this position is a valid Class 5 Driver's License.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 16285 Closing Date: Open until filled.
Sahtu HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
#2 McKenzie Drive
NORMAN WELLS, NT X0E 0V0
Ph. (867) 587-7150
Fax (867) 587-2173
The salary for this position starts at $49.02 per hour (approximately $95,589.00 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance