Closing date: Jan 25, 2019
Location: Norman Wells
Department: ENR Wildlife Research&Mgmt
Job Code: 16305
Salary: $95,589 - $114,134
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
Located in Norman Wells at the Sahtu Regional Office and reporting to the Regional Superintendent the incumbent provides technical advice for decisions on wildlife research, monitoring and management . This position is responsible for developing, conducting, and interpreting research and monitoring programs to ensure that wildlife use and development activities are ecologically sustainable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Must obtain and maintain a valid Firearms Possession and Acquisition License.
• Ability to operate a boat, skidoo, ATV and travel on the land is required.
• Knowledge of wildlife research and management principles and practices.
• Knowledge of environmental processes that determine the distribution, abundance and trend of wildlife species within ENR’s mandate.
• Knowledge of conservation biology, wildlife population and community dynamics, and habitat assessment techniques including field and statistical techniques.
• Technical experience in planning and conducting wildlife research, monitoring and management field programs in remote areas.
• Knowledge of applicable territorial legislation related to wildlife and species at risk in the NWT (Wildlife Act, Species at Risk (NWT) Act).
• Understanding of cross-cultural differences, as well as northern conservation and resource development and management issues.
• Demonstrated strong ability to work cooperatively and diplomatically with various boards and organizations.
• Ability to write about conservation and management objectives and research for both public and scientific audiences.
• Ability to communicate on technical wildlife issues in an understandable manner through written and oral presentations to a wide variety of audiences to clearly explain and discuss wildlife management issues.
• Ability to function well with desktop computers with a variety of computer programs including GIS applications.
• Ability to work without direct supervision, take initiative, and manage time.
• Should be in reasonable physical condition to carry out field work safely.
• Must wear various forms of PPE and use safety equipment while working.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
Typically, these knowledge, skills and abilities may be attained through the successful completion of a B.Sc. in Biology or other Natural Resource Management or similar discipline with a minimum of 2 years of experience conducting field studies on a variety of management oriented wildlife/ habitat projects, analyzing data collected, and preparing reports/publications on the results of these studies. Experience and training in project management, conservation education, communications and public relations are considered an asset. Experience working in a northern environment, understanding various cultural and traditional ways is a valuable assist.
Combinations of work experiences, education, training and other lifestyle factors may be considered for equivalency on a case by case basis in assessment of suitability.
Environment and Natural Resources actively collaborates to protect, manage and restore ecosystem health, promote environmental stewardship and support the wise use of natural resources for the benefit of ecosystems, which include the people of the Northwest Territories.
This job opening is for a term to March 31, 2020.
Sahtu HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
#2 McKenzie Drive
NORMAN WELLS, NT X0E 0V0
Ph. (867) 587-7150
Fax (867) 587-2173
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID #16305 Closing Date: January 25, 2019 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
The salary for this position starts at $49.02 per hour (approximately $95,589.00 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Driver's License Requirement
A mandatory requirement for this position is a valid Class 5 Driver's License