Project Officer - 2 Year Term
Closing date: Dec 28, 2018
Department: INF Regional Projects
Job Code: 16348
Salary: $87,263 - $104,208
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
The Department of Infrastructure (INF) provides high quality services to the public and Government of the Northwest Territories’ (GNWT) departments, boards and agencies including the planning, design, construction, acquisition, operation and maintenance of public transportation infrastructure and the buildings, works and equipment required for the GNWT to deliver its programs and services. INF makes essential petroleum products available for sale to the public where these products are not provided by the private sector, and promotes the development and increased use of energy efficient technologies. INF also regulates electrical and mechanical safety services and licenses individuals and vehicles operating in the territory.
For more information please refer to the Department of Infrastructure website at http://www.inf.gov.nt.ca/
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
To manage a variety of Capital and Operational and Maintenance (O&M) projects for the Government of Northwest Territories (GNWT) Departments, boards and agencies, community governments, and non-governmental organizations (clients) through all stages of the project planning and implementation process.
This position, which is located in Inuvik reports to the Regional Manager, Projects. The scope of activities undertaken or managed includes:
• Project management for the delivery of small to medium Capital and O&M projects on an annual basis, generally with a total annual value of up to $5,000,000.
• Consulting with other Government Departments, Hamlets, Community Organizations and Non-Governmental Organizations on related design(s).
• Signing authority of $50,000 for contract initiation, and $100,000 for contract performance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of the project management process, including project planning, scheduling, contracting, supervision of professional consultants and contractors, and inspections.
• Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
• Planning, time management and scheduling skills.
• Negotiating skills; required to manage large complex projects and deal with contractors, consultants, and stakeholders.
• Project management skills including estimating and financial skills to develop and control budgets for capital and O&M projects.
• Problem solving skills.
• Skills and knowledge of software areas such as: Computer Aided Design, Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Project Management Systems, and Financial Management Systems.
• Ability to work in a high stress multi-tasking environment with tight deadlines.
• Ability to work closely with consultants and contractors.
• Ability to deal with individuals with a high degree of tact and diplomacy required.
• Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment with a diverse group of clients and staff.
TYPICALLY, THE ABOVE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE ATTAINED BY:
Degree in Engineering or Architecture with two years of project management experience. Knowledge of project management in a northern environment would be
an asset. The skills and abilities are most commonly acquired through several years of related
This job opening is for a 2 Year Term.
Transfer Assignments may be considered.
The salary for this position starts at $44.75 per hour (approximately $87,262.50 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 16348
Closing Date: DECEMBER 28, 2018 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Inuvik HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
105 Veteran's Way
INUVIK, NT X0E 0T0
Ph. (867) 678-6600
Fax (867) 678-6620