Expression of Interest - Intern - Management Board Secretariat
Closing date: Jan 17, 2019
Department: FIN Management Brd Secretariat
Job Code: 16409
Salary: $67,607 - $80,691
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
Intern placements are available to Northern graduates. A northern graduate is an individual who has graduated with a diploma or degree from a designated post-secondary institution within a 24 month period prior to applying to the Internship Program or will complete all academic requirements for his/her program within 6 months of applying to the Internship Program. Applications to any intern job posting will only be accepted if you are registered to the Internship Program. For more information on the updated Internship Program including eligibility criteria and how to apply please visit www.gnwtjobs.ca/interns.
The Department of Finance has the mandate to provide leadership and direction to the public service in all areas of finance and human resource management. This mandate includes negotiating major financial arrangements with the federal government, providing analysis and advice to the Financial Management Board, and ensuring that financial and information resources are managed effectively, efficiently and economically. This mandate also includes the recruitment and retention of a competent public service that is representative of the people it serves and the development of programs and services that effectively serve the human resource needs of the public service.
Located in Yellowknife, the incumbent will receive guidance from the FMB/MBS analysts that will: contribute to the design, monitoring and evaluation of program and service delivery; participate in strategic matters such as business planning and enterprise risk management; provide junior level support to the development and implementation of government-wide programs and initiatives; and conduct research, analysis and draft reports.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
• Familiarity with research practices, tools and techniques, and possess strong writing, oral and interpersonal communications skills;
• Ability to analyze, interpret and critically assess technical, or financial information and provide an assessment or summary;
• Working knowledge of financial planning and budgetary development concepts;
• Ability to interpret and apply applicable financial policies;
• Possess excellent organizational and time management skills and be capable of working under pressure in order to balance numerous demanding and active reviews and initiatives;
• Ability to follow direction and exercising initiative and demonstrating the ability to work independently to conduct research, analyze issues, compile reports, and provide recommendations;
• Employ diplomacy, tact, and good judgment in communicating internally and with other departments; and
• Be proficient in the use of computers and related software such as databases, spreadsheets, and word processing.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by a bachelor's degree in political science, public administration, commerce/business management, or a related area of study. Experience working in a government setting would be an asset.
This job opening is for up to 2 years.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary range for this position is from $34.67 per hour to $41.38 per hour (approximately $67,607- $ 80,691) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $3,450.
Criminal Records Check
Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal records check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term positions.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID #16409
Closing Date: January 17, 2019 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Management and Recruitment Services
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Yellowknife Centre 5th Floor
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Fax: (867) 873-0445