Senior Human Resource Officer
Closing date: Jan 25, 2019
Department: FIN MRS Human Resource Serv
Job Code: 16469
Salary: $96,545 - $115,284
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
The Department of Finance has the mandate to provide leadership and direction to the public service in all areas of finance and human resource management. This mandate includes negotiating major financial arrangements with the federal government, providing analysis and advice to the Financial Management Board, and ensuring that financial and information resources are managed effectively, efficiently and economically. This mandate also includes the recruitment and retention of a competent public service that is representative of the people it serves and the development of programs and services that effectively serve the human resource needs of the public service.
Reporting to the Client Service Manager, this position is responsible for the provision of human resource advice and services in the areas of human resource planning, recruitment, employee orientation, job description development, performance planning, employee recognition and labour relations. The Senior Human Resource Officer is responsible for supervising a Human Resource Assistant and assist with the mentoring and training of other staff in the Management and Recruitment Services division. As well, this position will take on responsibility for special projects as assigned by the Client Service Manager.
Critical Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proven client service orientation.
- Proven ability to communicate, both orally and in writing with senior managers, technical staff and other employees.
- Proven human relation skills consistent with the need to supervise some employees and to provide effective human management of those employees.
- Proven organizational and time management skills.
- Proven knowledge of Acts, Regulations and procedures applicable to human resource management.
- Proven analytical and research skills.
- Proven knowledge and understanding of human resource services within a unionized public service context.
- Proven negotiation skills to resolve conflicts in a manner which best serves both the GNWT and the employee.
- Proven coaching and mentoring skills.
- Proven understanding of the GNWT's organization, environment, culture and business strategies with the ability to understand, recognize and/or anticipate concerns or problems that will ultimately affect the GNWT's ability to attract, retain and motivate employees.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
This is normally obtained through a relevant Bachelor degree coupled with 4 years in a relevant field, including at least 3 years as a human resource generalist.
This job opening is for a one (1) year term.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary range for this position is from $49.51 per hour to $59.12 per hour (approximately $96,564 - $115,284) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $3,450.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 16469
Closing Date: January 25, 2019 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time
Management and Recruitment Services
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Yellowknife Centre 5th Floor
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Fax: (867) 873-0445