Manager, Shipyard Operations
The Department of Infrastructure (INF) provides high quality services to the public and Government of the Northwest Territories’ (GNWT) departments, boards and agencies including the planning, design, construction, acquisition, operation and maintenance of public transportation infrastructure and the buildings, works and equipment required for the GNWT to deliver its programs and services. INF makes essential petroleum products available for sale to the public where these products are not provided by the private sector, and promotes the development and increased use of energy efficient technologies. INF also regulates electrical and mechanical safety services and licenses individuals and vehicles operating in the territory.
For more information please refer to the Department of Infrastructure website at http://www.inf.gov.nt.ca/
The Manager, Shipyard Operations with the Marine Transportation Services Division is responsible for the efficient management and profitability of the Department of Infrastructures Hay River Shipyard, while ensuring that the high standards of quality, safety and environmental protection are maintained. The Manager, Shipyard Operations is the authorized representative of the shore based maintenance operations, working within the legislative and policy framework responsible for ensuring equipment and personnel are trained/certified and competent to perform duties in accordance with the Canada Shipping Act, Federal and Territorial Policies, guidelines and departmental procedures.
The Manager, Shipyard Operations is based in Hay River and reports to the Director, Marine Transportation Services. Working with and supporting other Managers, the incumbent must optimize fleet deployment of chartered/owned vessels to address customer demand and maximize long term profitability, while ensuring a safe and efficient marine operation. In an environment of government restructuring, fiscal restraint and rising public expectation, the Manager must provide the necessary leadership and direction to ensure that dry goods and fuel are delivered and projects are completed given the challenges. The Manager is responsible for the planning and execution of the Division's Shipyard Operations pertaining to hull maintenance and for supporting the division's marine engineering and mechanical maintenance operations.
Some of the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position are:
- Extensive knowledge of marine industry standards, Canada Shipping Act, Transport Canada Regulations, Lloyd's Register of Shipping Standards, DND, CCG, American Bureau of Shipping, etc.;
- Expertise in all facets of the Marine Transportation Services operations shore and marine operations, handling of dry cargo and bulk petroleum products;
- Expertise in marine industry related project management and the ability to apply shipyard management and operations knowledge and skills;
- Knowledge and expertise in Marine refurbishment, repair, refit and rebuild;
- Applicable industrial marine safety standard knowledge;
- Thorough knowledge and expertise with Environmental Standards ISO 14001, Environmental management Systems, Quality Assurance/Quality Control/Quality Management Systems, ISO 9001;
- Ability to develop, schedule, forecast, manage, budget and track expenditures;
- Strong organizational, time management, critical thinking and decision making skills;
- Effective written and verbal communications skills.
- Effective operational risk management and contingency planning skills;
- Ability to demonstrate leadership, initiative and professional judgement;
- Ability to travel, if and when required.
Typically, the above qualifications would be obtained by:
- A Diploma in Engineering (Electrical, Marine, Mechanical, Metal Fabrication/Welding, Industrial, etc.); and,
- 10+ years working Industrial experience preferably in the Marine Industry; and,
- Minimum 5 years working experience in a managerial position; and
- Minimum 5 years of Project Management responsibility.
Hay River HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
#209, 62 Woodland Drive
HAY RIVER, NT X0E 1G1
Ph. (867) 874-5085
Fax (867) 874-5095
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary for this position starts at $55.76 per hour (approximately $108,732 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $5,999.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 17525
Closing Date: Open Until Filled