The Department of Infrastructure (INF) provides high quality services to the public and Government of the Northwest Territories’ (GNWT) departments, boards and agencies including the planning, design, construction, acquisition, operation and maintenance of public transportation infrastructure and the buildings, works and equipment required for the GNWT to deliver its programs and services. INF makes essential petroleum products available for sale to the public where these products are not provided by the private sector, and promotes the development and increased use of energy efficient technologies. INF also regulates electrical and mechanical safety services and licenses individuals and vehicles operating in the territory.
For more information please refer to the Department of Infrastructure website at http://www.inf.gov.nt.ca/
Located in Yellowknife and reporting to the Manager, Financial Operations, the Finance Officer plays a role in providing operational financial support in the areas of budget administration, including operations and maintenance (O&M) budgets, airport infrastructure programs (capital and O&M) and third party funding agreements. The position supports divisions in headquarters, as well as providing information and support to regional areas as needed.
The Finance Officer is responsible for executing activities related to the day-to-day operations of the Department and is expected to assist in the development and implementation of policies and procedures to effectively and efficiently manage the financial and operational services of the department.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of financial statement preparation and interpretation;
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, financial administration procedures, financial accounting computer systems and database concepts;
- Knowledge of contracting regulations and Business Incentive Policy;
- General knowledge of the financial organizational framework of government;
- Good accounting skills in order to understand and apply accounting concept and financial terms within funding agreements;
- Ability to compose historical trend analyses;
- Proficiency in using various computer software packages particularly spreadsheet, database, word processing and accounting applications;
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including utilizing tact, diplomacy and persuasion;
- Ability to organize time effectively in order to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work as a team member on projects
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
This knowledge base is normally acquired through completion of the 2nd level of a recognized accounting program, or equivalent post-secondary education in accounting and/or financial management and 3 years related experience.
Management and Recruitment Services
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Yellowknife Centre 5th Floor
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
Fax: (867) 873-0445
Transfer Assignments may be considered.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary range for this position is from $42.45 per hour to $50.71 per hour (approximately $82,777.50 - 98,884.50) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $3700.00
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal records check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID #17619
Closing Date: October 21, 2019 - 23:59, Mountain Time