This job opening is limited to residents living within The Sahtu Region.
The Northwest Territorial Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) works under the direction of the Minister of Health and Social Services, in partnership with the Deputy Minister, Health and Social Services and the Health and Social Services regions, to support the health and wellbeing of people across the Northwest Territories through planning, development, deliver, evaluation and reporting on program and service delivery.
NTHSSA is committed to the development and provision of quality services in such a way as to make the best use of public resources, ensure the sustainability of the system, focus on client safety and best practices and promote positive health and social outcomes. NTHSSA strives to continually improve the health and social service system to ensure best health, best care, and a better future for the people of the NWT.
Our mission is to work with people to optimize wellbeing through the provision of collaborative and culturally appropriate health and social services.
The incumbent reports to the Regional Manager, Operations with a scheduling and attendance reporting to the Senior Housekeeper.
The incumbent works as part of a team of housekeepers and is responsible for the cleaning of the long-term care rooms, Isolation rooms, palliative care suite, specialty areas, all administration offices and boardrooms
The incumbent is responsible to handle and clean all laundry and linens for the facility in accordance with the NTHSSA & Sahtu Region policies and procedures, Accreditation Canada Standards, Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS) and other applicable standards.
Should the incumbent not clean/disinfect appropriately, staff/patients/visitors could be exposed to infectious diseases and hazardous conditions, e.g., slipping, injury. The incumbent works throughout the facility and has contact with employees, patients and the general public. As an employee of the facility, the incumbent must present and conduct him/herself in accordance with NTHSSA & Sahtu Region policies and procedures to ensure positive public perception of the facility.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Sound knowledge of methods, standards and procedures for cleaning a health facility to ensure infection control and a safe and hygienic environment. This includes knowledge of cleaning procedures, infection control procedures, chain of infection and quality assurance and accreditation standards.
• Sound knowledge of methods, standards and procedures for handling and cleaning laundry and linens in a health facility to ensure infection control and a safe and hygienic environment. This includes knowledge of laundry procedures, infection control procedures, chain of infection and quality assurance and accreditation standards.
• The incumbent also requires knowledge of cleaning compounds and materials.
• The incumbent requires knowledge of the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) as it applies to cleaning. The incumbent requires annual training in standard precautions.
• The incumbent requires the ability to read and interpret cleaning supplies, laundry and safety procedures and must be able to interpret material product information as per WHMIS legislation.
• The incumbent requires training in standard First Aid and to renew when required.
• The incumbent must be able to work effectively in a cross-cultural situation.
• Reliable and able to work independently and with minimal supervision.
• Effective communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
• Completion of grade 12
• 2 years of direct related experience
• Experience working directly within a Health Care Facility in a capacity of either housekeeping and/or laundry services is preferred.
• Equivalences will be considered
Sahtu HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
#2 McKenzie Drive
NORMAN WELLS, NT X0E 0V0
Ph. (867) 587-7150
Fax (867) 587-2173
This position involves a Rotating/Irregular Shift Schedule which may change due to operational requirements.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain proof of current up-to-date immunization status.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary for this position starts at $24.98 per hour (approximately $48,711.00 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 17681 Closing Date: October 25, 2019 - 23:59, Mountain Standard Time.