Relief Primary Community Care
This job opening is limited to residents living within 25 kilometres of Colville Lake.
The Northwest Territorial Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) works under the direction of the Minister of Health and Social Services, in partnership with the Deputy Minister, Health and Social Services and the Health and Social Services regions, to support the health and wellbeing of people across the Northwest Territories through planning, development, deliver, evaluation and reporting on program and service delivery.
NTHSSA is committed to the development and provision of quality services in such a way as to make the best use of public resources, ensure the sustainability of the system, focus on client safety and best practices and promote positive health and social outcomes. NTHSSA strives to continually improve the health and social service system to ensure best health, best care, and a better future for the people of the NWT.
Our mission is to work with people to optimize wellbeing through the provision of collaborative and culturally appropriate health and social services.
The NTHSSA administers all regional health and social services delivered to 4 Community Health Centres and 1 Community Health Station in the Sahtu Region with approximately 2,900 residents. The NTHSSA provides and supports the delivery of Health and Social Services to adults and children on an outpatient and outreach basis in order to enhance healthy communities' well-being through excellence, accountability and respect for regional diversity.
Located within the Colville Lake Health Station and reporting directly to the Nurse in Charge (NIC) in Norman Wells, the Relief Primary Community Care Worker may be the only health care provider located within the community of 150 residents (predominantly Dene). The Relief Primary Community Care Worker plays a critical liaison role between the community and the NTHSSA and ensures that individuals within the community have access to care, treatment, health promotion and home care and that the Health Authority is aware of the constant and emergency medical needs of the community.
The Relief Primary Community Care Worker provides health care in the absence of licensed health professionals under the long-distance direction and guidance of the medical/nursing staff of the Sahtu Region. Services include but are not limited to delivering and ensuring that pre- packaged medications are delivered and ingested by patients; assisting in the scheduling of residents into special clinics held within Colville Lake and Regional Centres as appropriate; monitoring and reordering of stocked medications and other supplies; participating in community health education, promotion, home and community care and take the local lead in dealing with any emergency medical situations (emergency situation often result in medevac).
When providing basic and emergency care or assessment, the Relief Primary Community Care Worker will be required to independently perform a basic assessment and provide the results to medical/nursing personnel for diagnosis and treatment (which may be performed by the Relief Primary Community Care Worker if within the Relief Primary Community Care Worker's scope of practice).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of and an ability to apply basic first aid and CPR/AED in order to preserve life and promote healing (including an ability to identify and provide treatment for conditions such as but not limited to drowning, hypothermia, heart attack, etc.),
• Knowledge of and an ability to provide basic home and community care,
• Knowledge of healthy aging process,
• Knowledge of drugs and drug interaction,
• Knowledge of traditional healing methods as well as community and cultural norms,
• An ability to speak, read and write English and the local aboriginal language (this includes and ability to follow verbal and written instruction from nursing, medical and dental personnel and interpret health information accurately - following the Medical Interpreter's Guide),
• Ability to operate basic office equipment (i.e. telephones, fax machines, etc.).
• Ability to operate basic medical equipment require to assess patient vital statistics and condition (i.e. thermometer, stethoscope, blood pressure apparatus, Blood Glucose Monitor, forceps, scissors, simple suction equipment, stretchers, etc.).
• An ability to apply bandages dressings and/or splints.
• Ability to work independently and to follow direction from health practitioner and supervisor located in another community.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
This level of knowledge is commonly acquired through the successful completion of grade 12
and the acquisition of Standard First Aid and CPR/AED certification.
This job opening is for a Relief position where there are no established hours of work on a daily, weekly or monthly basis and may be required to report to work on an as and when required basis for facilities where services operate on a daily basis throughout the entire year.
Driver's License Requirement
A mandatory requirement for this position is a valid Class 5 Driver's License.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain proof of current up-to-date immunization status.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary for this position starts at $36.02 per hour (approximately $70,239.00 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 17712 Closing Date: Open Until Fiiled.