Regional Manager, Mental Health & Addictions
The Northern Territorial Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) works under the direction of the Minister of Health and Social Services, in partnership with the Deputy Minister, Health and Social Services and the Health and Social Services regions, to support the health and wellbeing of people across the Northwest Territories through planning, development, deliver, evaluation and reporting on program and service delivery.
NTHSSA is committed to the development and provision of quality services in such a way as to make the best use of public resources, ensure the sustainability of the system, focus on client safety and best practices and promote positive health and social outcomes. NTHSSA strives to continually improve the health and social service system to ensure best health, best care, and a better future for the people of the NWT.
Our mission is to work with people to optimize wellbeing through the provision of collaborative and culturally appropriate health and social services.
This position, is reporting directly to the Sahtu Chief Operating Officer (COO), will work closely with their COO and with the NTHSSA Territorial Manager supporting this program area, to ensure that patient/client needs are being supported and addressed within their regional catchment area; and to identify and address program challenges and opportunities for improvement, establish program objectives for the region, and to report on and contribute to the evaluation of the effectiveness and efficiency of the program delivery in the region. They will also contribute to the development of the program area across the territory through their participation on cross-territory initiatives and projects.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Sound knowledge of all areas of Mental Health and Addiction Services, including an in- depth knowledge of the theories of psychotherapy, addiction treatment, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) diagnostics, dual diagnoses, crisis intervention, and assessment, as well as knowledge of the legislation, policies, and procedures that govern the provision of mental health and addictions services in the GNWT.
• Seasoned, specialized knowledge in the development and implementation of effective mental health care, addictions, and family services, as well as in-depth experience providing community services.
• Ability to make sound clinical decisions, and develop and implement mental health and addictions related programming is required.
• A good working knowledge of program management, including budget development, preparation, and control is required to ensure financial responsibilities are carried out effectively and efficiently.
• Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with individuals, agencies, elected community leaders, and employees in order to communicate program information, including the ability to obtain and respond to feedback from these individuals.
• A high level of interpersonal skills including effective communication, coaching and motivation is essential in order to manage the human resources assigned to the position so human resources performance is at optimal capacity and assisting staff and stakeholders to accept change.
• Knowledge of how to design and facilitate a change process. The ability to build and work with groups and teams, planning and implementing change; skilled in group dynamics and conflict resolution.
• Ability to build solid partnerships and alliances based on trust and to work with a variety of people from different backgrounds and personalities.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills including listening, observing, identifying and reporting.
• Knowledge and ability to use a variety of intervention and prevention methods, and determine which method is most appropriate at any given time.
• Must have excellent organizational and time management skills to manage multi- disciplinary responsibilities in a timely and effective manner.
• Must be sensitive to the geographical and cultural needs of the people and understand how community and culture impact the delivery of health and social services.
• Must have a working knowledge of total quality management or continuous quality improvement processes.
• Must working knowledge with word processing programs and spreadsheets.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
A Masters’ Degree in Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Counseling Psychology or Nursing (with a focus on Mental Health and Addictions). Consideration will be given to Master's Degree in Social Work.
Three (3) years relevant experience in a scope of practice including mental health, addictions, and family violence.
Two (2) years clinical supervision/management experience in a mental health/ addiction setting.
Sahtu HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
#2 McKenzie Drive
NORMAN WELLS, NT X0E 0V0
Ph. (867) 587-7150
Fax (867) 587-2173
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Salary for this position is currently Under Review.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 17755 Closing Date: Open until filled.