Elementary Teacher - Whati
The Tlicho Community Services Agency is a unique organization responsible for the delivery of education, health and social services within the Tlicho region. The Tlicho Community Services Agency's vision 'Strong Like Two People' is a metaphor for the desire by community leadership to build an organization, and create programs and services that recognize the strength and importance of two cultures.
• Elementary teacher required for generalist multi-grade or split-grade class as directed by the school principal prefered kindergarten experience.
• The appropriate candidate will be prepared to actively promote self-regulation, culture-based education, and an inquiry-based learning model in the classroom.
• All classrooms are inclusive and comprise students who span varying ability levels so ideal applicants will be experienced in offering individualized student support plans and differentiated instructional strategies accordingly.
• MCS has a school-wide focus on literacy that aligns directly to the regional strategic plan in education, so the successful applicant must be prepared to include literacy strategies in their instruction across all subject areas.
• The most appropriate candidate will be an exemplary educator with cross-cultural experience and a strong commitment to community, students and a cross-cultural team environment.
• Flexibility, organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and a willingness to become involved in the Tlicho way of life outside of the school are a must.
• The TCSA embraces a philosophy of continuing professional learning and growth specifically tied to high levels of student learning. Candidates must be prepared to engage in ongoing collaborative and professional dialogue about their instructional, assessment, and reporting practice insofar as it relates to student learning. Active and positive participation in Professional Learning Communities are a required approach to ongoing professional growth in our region.
Tlicho HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
Nishi Khon Building, 2nd Floor
P.O. Box 419
Ph. (867) 392-3053
Fax (867) 392-6861
Transfer Assignments may be considered.
This job opening is for the 2019-2020 School Year. The term will end in June 2020.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary range for this position is from approximately $80,180 - $129,448, plus an annual Northern Allowance of $15,001.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector check if they are contacted for an interview. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Priority for Northwest Territories Teachers' Association positions shall be granted as follows:
- Priority 1: Teachers who have received official lay-off notice;
- Priority 2: Indigenous Aboriginal Persons;
- Priority 3: Indigenous Non-Aboriginal or Resident Disabled Person;
- Priority 4: Indeterminate Teachers eligible for Transfer or Promotion and not included in Priorities 2 & 3;
- Priority 5: Term teachers not included in Priorities 2 & 3;
- Priority 6: NWT Resident Teachers not employed by the GNWT or included in Priorities 2 & 3;
- Priority 7: Teachers who are not residents of the NWT and who are not included in Priorities.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 17817
Closing Date: Open Until Filled