Technical Supervisor- Specimen Control
The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) offers challenging and exciting careers in health and social services delivery and administration in Canada’s North. The Territorial Authority has service locations in communities across the territory and a staff of more than 1,600 serving over 43,000 residents of the NWT and 5,900 residents of the Kitikmeot Region of Nunavut. Challenging work, welcoming communities, and expanded opportunities are some of the benefits offered to employees of the NTHSSA.
The Technical Supervisor, Specimen Control, leads and directs the day to day operations as well as long term planning of the Stanton Territorial Hospital Specimen Control Laboratory. You will manage an annual budget of approximately $1 million and a staff of complement Medical Laboratory Assistants, including Relief positions. The Stanton Territorial Hospital lacks an on-site pathologist and operates using consulting pathology services via remote consultation with a pathologist located outside of the NWT. In the absence of a local pathologist, you will act as a resource (first contact) on Laboratory Medicine related practice for NWT Agencies and Departments and provide direction on all core laboratory related matters. In addition, you will be responsible for the quality of all test results to ensure that the findings are reliable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Medical Laboratory Technology with a focus on Specimen Control laboratory functions, principles, and standards of practice including specimen collection and handling, and automated laboratory testing methods, including microscopy.
- Knowledge of Laboratory Technologies and Principles, and Standards of Practice
- The ability to operate and understand complex laboratory instrumentation in order to provide direct hands on laboratory services, provide direction and leadership to Technologists and analyze and interpret results to aid medical and non-medical professionals in the diagnosis, treatment and management of disease.
- Ability to quickly recognize atypical findings and initiate the appropriate action.
- Knowledge of education principles related to adult leaders in order to develop and deliver subject specific training and development; facilitation and presentation skills.
- Knowledge and skills relating to Quality Management Concepts; total quality management or continuous quality improvement with their application in a healthcare setting.
- Sensitive Geographical and cultural needs of the people and understand how community and culture impacts the delivery of health care.
- Ability to effectively supervise staff, organize work, conduct performance reviews, identify individual training needs and train staff.
- Knowledge of and ability to input and retrieve information from Laboratory Information Systems.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
A recognized Medical Laboratory Technology Program at a minimum of a diploma. or degree level from an accredited Canadian Post-Secondary Institution. Internationally trained Medical Laboratory Technologists must have at least three (3) years working experience in a Canadian Hospital Laboratory as a Medical Laboratory Technologist (in a Specimen Control laboratory).
Applicants must have seven (7) years of directly related Specimen Control laboratory experience which includes three (3) years of demonstrated increasing responsibility at the medical laboratory technologist 2 level or higher in a Canadian hospital medical laboratory.
These are bona fide requirements; equivalencies will not be considered.
- Applicants must be registered with the Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science at the General Registered Technologist designation. Registration must be maintained throughout the period of employment with Laboratory Services.
- Completion of a Leadership Program, Management Program and/or a Quality Management Program would be an asset
Stanton Territorial Hospital Requirements:
New laboratory staff members must complete the following training activities within the first two weeks of employment. All training must be maintained current throughout the period of employment. Additional training modules may be required depending on the changing needs of the department or organization.
• Aboriginal and Cultural Awareness Training
• Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS)
• RL6 Incident Reporting Training
• Workplace Safety Awareness Training
• N95 Mask Fit Testing.
• French Active Offer Training
• Infection Prevention and Control
• Fire Safety and Fire Extinguisher Training
• Biosafety and Biosecurity Training
• Transportation of Dangerous Goods Certification
• Privacy and Confidentiality Training
• Emergency Response Codes
• Information Security Awareness Training
• Hand Hygiene Training
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
YELLOWKNIFE CENTRE 5TH FLOOR
BOX 1320 YELLOWKNIFE NT X1A 2L9
Tel (867) 767-9154 Extension 14106
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 18543
Closing Date: July 9, 2020- 23:59, Mountain Time.
The salary range for this position is from $49.91 per hour to $59.61 per hour (approximately $97,325-$116,240.) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $3,700.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain proof of current up-to-date immunization status.