Relief Resident Care Aide
The Northwest Territorial Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) works under the direction of the Minister of Health and Social Services, in partnership with the Deputy Minister, Health and Social Services and the Health and Social Services regions, to support the health and wellbeing of people across the Northwest Territories through planning, development, deliver, evaluation and reporting on program and service delivery.
NTHSSA is committed to the development and provision of quality services in such a way as to make the best use of public resources, ensure the sustainability of the system, focus on client safety and best practices and promote positive health and social outcomes. NTHSSA strives to continually improve the health and social service system to ensure best health, best care, and a better future for the people of the NWT.
Our mission is to work with people to optimize wellbeing through the provision of collaborative and culturally appropriate health and social services.
The RCA is a member of the resident care team who provides direct personalized care to residents who have common well-defined nursing diagnoses. The RCA will act as an advocate for the resident and will facilitate communication between the patient, family, the care Team and other health care professionals. This will result in a holistic and integrated approach to planning, organizing, teaching, and relationship development that will best meet the "person centered" needs of the resident.
KNOWLEDGE. SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of and an ability to apply standard first aid and CPR in order to preserve life and promote healing.
• Knowledge of and an ability to provide basic home nursing and support,
• Knowledge of drugs and drug interaction.
• Knowledge of healthy aging process.
• Knowledge of traditional healing methods as well as community and cultural norms.
• An ability to apply bandages dressings and/or splints.
• An ability to use nursing equipment (including but not limited to Hoyer Lift, Commode Tub, etc.).
• Ability to operate basic medical equipment; required to assess patient vital statistics and condition (i.e. thermometer, stethoscope, blood pressure apparatus, Blood Glucose Monitor, scissors, simple suction equipment, stretchers, etc.).
• An ability to speak, read and write English (this includes and ability to follow verbal and written instruction from nursing, medical and dental personnel and interpret health information accurately - following the Medical Interpreter's Guide).
• The incumbent must be aware of the importance of confidentiality and be able to keep personal and medical information private and confidential at all times.
Typically the above qualifications would be attained by:
The completion of a Personal Support Worker or Resident Care Aide certification program or equivalent education and experience.
Sahtu HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
2 MCKENZIE DRIVE
NORMAN WELLS NT X0E 0V0
Tel (867) 587-7150
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.
This job opening is for a Relief position where there are no established hours of work on a daily, weekly or monthly basis and may be required to report to work on an as and when required basis for facilities where services operate on a daily basis throughout the entire year.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector check if they are contacted for an interview. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 18727 Closing Date: Open until filled.
The salary for this position starts at $33.20 per hour (approximately $64,740.00 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain proof of current up-to-date immunization status.