Relief Institutional Nurse
The mandate of the Department of Justice is to administer justice, including policing, community justice, victims services and corrections in the Northwest Territories. This mandate will be carried out in a manner which respects community and indigenous values and encourages communities to assume increasing responsibilities.
Provides health care services in accordance with the NWT Standards of Nursing Practice and the Canadian Nurses Association Code of Ethics to ensure the provision of safe standardized health care to the facility offenders.
• Reporting to the Supervisor Health Services
• Provide non - emergent medical / nursing care,
• Respond to medical / nursing crisis that require decision making outside of the usual policies, procedures and standards of nursing care
• Deliver health programs designed to promote institutional offender health and wellness (including but not limited to communicable disease treatment and surveillance, chronic disease monitoring and follow up, immunization programs, and well man clinics).
• Act as an inmate advocate in relation to health issues and concerns.
• Encourage and promote healthy lifestyle changes through a variety of health education programs.
• Work closely with outside health agencies coordinating treatment, follow up release care, and referrals.
A Bachelor of Science in Nursing with a Registered Nurse designation or Registered Nurse designation with a minimum of 6 months nursing experience in an acute care
setting or within a northern health centre.
This job opening is limited to residents living within 25 kilometres of Yellowknife.
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
YELLOWKNIFE CENTRE 5TH FLOOR
BOX 1320 YELLOWKNIFE NT X1A 2L9
Tel (867) 767-9154 Extension 14106
Fax (867) 873-0445
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.
This job opening is for a Relief position where there are no established hours of work on a daily, weekly or monthly basis and may be required to report to work on an as and when required basis for facilities where services operate on a daily basis throughout the entire year.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain proof of current up-to-date immunization status.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary range for this position is from $47.68 per hour to $56.96 per hour (approximately $92,976.00 - $111,072.00.) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $3,700.00.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector check if they are contacted for an interview. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 19053
Closing Date: September 25, 2020 - 23:59, Mountain Time