Licensed Practical Nurse - Acute Care
The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) offers challenging and exciting careers in health and social services delivery and administration in Canada’s North. The Territorial Authority has service locations in communities across the territory and a staff of more than 1,600 serving over 43,000 residents of the NWT and 5,900 residents of the Kitikmeot Region of Nunavut. Challenging work, welcoming communities, and expanded opportunities are some of the benefits offered to employees of the NTHSSA.
Located within the IRH and reporting directly to the Regional Manager, Acute Care, the LPN, Acute Care provides culturally sensitive care to patients of the 24- bed Acute Care unit.
The LPN, Acute Care is a member of the nursing team who determines patient status and responds to actual or potential health problems, plans and performs interventions and evaluates patient outcomes with the intention of maintaining or regaining client health.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The LPN, Acute Care must have knowledge of and an ability to apply the nursing process (assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation) and practice to ensure that the patients' physical, emotional, psychosocial, spiritual, educational and daily living needs are met.
- An ability to educate patients and their families (where applicable) on appropriate self-care methods and techniques
- Basic knowledge of biological, physical and behavioral sciences in order to recognize interpret and prioritize findings and determine and implement a plan of action based on accepted standards of practice.
- Knowledge of and ability to network resources within and outside the IRH (i.e. Social Services, Public Health, medevac teams etc.) In order to ensure support of patients and their families.
- An ability to operate desktop computer in order to send and receive electronic mail and conduct research over the internet.
- An ability to operate and/or use standard medical equipment (such as but not limited to - thermometers, NG tubes, sphygmomanometer, stretchers, blood glucose monitors, Kangaroo pumps, suction tubes, etc.)
- An ability to effectively operate non-medical equipment used during the care of patients within Acute Care (these include but are not limited to lifts, wheel chairs, bathing equipment, laundry equipment, kitchen, etc.).
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
This level of knowledge is commonly acquired through the successful completion of a Licensed Practical Nursing Program and two years recent experience in an acute care setting.
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
YELLOWKNIFE CENTRE 5TH FLOOR
BOX 1320 YELLOWKNIFE NT X1A 2L9
Tel (867) 767-9154 Extension 14106
Fax (867) 873-0445
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.
This job opening is for an one (1) year term.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain proof of current up-to-date immunization status.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The salary for this position starts at $39.71 per hour (approximately $77,434.50 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID #19242
Closing Date: October 28, 2020 - 23:59, Mountain Time