Highway Maintenance Operator (Term & Relief)
This job opening is limited to residents living within 25 kilometres of Behchoko.
The Department of Infrastructure (INF) provides high quality services to the public and Government of the Northwest Territories’ (GNWT) departments, boards and agencies including the planning, design, construction, acquisition, operation and maintenance of public transportation infrastructure and the buildings, works and equipment required for the GNWT to deliver its programs and services. INF makes essential petroleum products available for sale to the public where these products are not provided by the private sector, and promotes the development and increased use of energy efficient technologies. INF also regulates electrical and mechanical safety services and licenses individuals and vehicles operating in the territory.
For more information please refer to the Department of Infrastructure website at http://www.inf.gov.nt.ca
The Highway Maintenance Operator primarily maintains all asphalt and gravel surfaces, signs, right-of-way, drainage system and the ancillary infrastructure. Due to the extensive worksite area, the incumbent is given the latitude to choose the appropriate course of action and is expected to make decisions and initiate work without close supervision. The duties of the position provide final results that directly affect the operational safety of the system. Failure by the incumbent to follow approved practices or to make the correct decisions regarding methods and materials to be used can create a significant level of risk of liability, property loss and personal injury. The incumbent routinely operates equipment valued in excess of $150,000.
Critical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities.
- Knowledge of the generally accepted methods of removing snow, controlling ice and the repair of deficiencies on asphalt and gravel surfaces to recognize and perform the maintenance duties of a highway system to ensure compliance with Federal and Territorial standards and regulations.
- Knowledge of and skill in the servicing and minor repair of heavy trucks and equipment to maintain the reliability of the vehicles and to ensure the expected useable life of the machinery is attained.
- Ability to act as a leader for a work crew to ensure equipment and labour delivering the work program is used in a safe and efficient manner using planning and organizational skills to coordinate the various work activities and being self-directed.
- Ability to work without supervision using specialized technical skills and knowledge to make rational and reasonable decisions in the effective use of labour, equipment and materials for highway maintenance purposes and avoidance of situations that can result in property loss and damage or personal injury.
- Skill in the operation of heavy trucks, heavy and light mobile equipment and power tools to enable the incumbent to be proficient in accomplishing the required highway maintenance functions.
- Ability to communicate effectively in verbal English to ensure accuracy and understanding of messages given and received through the use of mobile two-way radio communications.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written English to perform administrative tasks, understand equipment operation and service manuals, training manuals, correspondence and department directives and policy.
- Ability to acquire a Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS) certificate and First Aid and CPR Certificate.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
The completion of a Grade 10 high school education and 5 years directly related experience as an equipment operator in a maintenance program (ie. municipal, highway, airport, etc.); which would include 2 years of experience operating 3 and 5 axle tandem trucks as well as 2 years of experience operating graders and wheeled loaders and 1 year of experience operating crawler tractors and backhoes concurrent with this experience the incumbent would also have 2 years of experience performing minor servicing to equipment.
Tlicho HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
NISHI KHON BUILDING, 2nd FLOOR
BEHCHOKO NT X0E 0Y0
Tel (867) 392-3053
Fax (867) 392-6861
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Employment in some positions requires an acceptable criminal records check. Possession of a criminal record will not necessarily disqualify candidates from further consideration.
Driver's License Requirement
A mandatory requirement for this position is a valid Class 3 Driver's License with air endorsement.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 19340
Closing Date: December 2, 2020 - 23:59, Mountain Time
The salary for this position starts at $36.93 per hour (approximately $72,014.00 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $5,387.00.