Relief Resident Care Aide
This job opening is limited to residents living within 25 kilometres of Norman Wells, NT.
The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) offers challenging and exciting careers in health and social services delivery and administration in Canada’s North. The Territorial Authority has service locations in communities across the territory and a staff of more than 1,600 serving over 43,000 residents of the NWT and 5,900 residents of the Kitikmeot Region of Nunavut. Challenging work, welcoming communities, and expanded opportunities are some of the benefits offered to employees of the NTHSSA.
Residents within the Norman Wells Long Term Care Facility are individuals requiring support for Activities of Daily Living (AOL's), instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADL's), for complex physical, cognitive/mental health challenges with associated behaviors and who require 24 hour care and supervision. The residents' medical outcomes must be stable and predictable. Residents within the facility are visited a minimum of once every three months or more frequently as required by a locum physician.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of and an ability to apply standard first aid and CPR in order to preserve life and promote healing.
• Knowledge of and an ability to provide basic home nursing and support.
• Knowledge of drugs and drug interaction.
• Knowledge of healthy aging process.
• Knowledge of traditional healing methods as well as community and cultural norms. An ability to apply bandages dressings and/or splints.
• An ability to use nursing equipment (including but not limited to Hoyer Lift, Commode Tub, etc.).
• Ability to operate basic medical equipment; required to assess patient vital statistics and condition (i.e. thermometer, stethoscope, blood pressure apparatus, Blood Glucose Monitor, scissors, simple suction equipment, stretchers, etc.).
• An ability to speak, read and write English (this includes and ability to follow verbal and written instruction from nursing, medical and dental personnel and interpret health information accurately - following the Medical Interpreter's Guide).
• The incumbent must be aware of the importance of confidentiality and be able to keep personal and medical information private and confidential at all times.
Typically the above qualifications would be attained by:
The completion of a Personal Support Worker or Resident Care Aide certification program or equivalent education and experience.
Sahtu HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
2 MCKENZIE DRIVE
NORMAN WELLS NT X0E 0V0
Tel (867) 587-7150
Fax (867) 587-2173
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain proof of current up-to-date immunization status.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 19367 Closing Date: Open until filled.
The salary for this position starts at $33.20 per hour (approximately $64,740.00 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance.