Nurse Specialized in Wound, Ostomy and Continence
The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) offers challenging and exciting careers in health and social services delivery and administration in Canada’s North. The Territorial Authority has service locations in communities across the territory and a staff of more than 1,600 serving over 43,000 residents of the NWT and 5,900 residents of the Kitikmeot Region of Nunavut. Challenging work, welcoming communities, and expanded opportunities are some of the benefits offered to employees of the NTHSSA.
You will provide advanced, specialized nursing expertise and leadership to protect, restore, maintain or improve the wound, ostomy and continence issues for people of all ages in the acute care, long term care and home and community care settings in the Northwest Territories (NWT) independently and in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team! You will also be responsible for leading the Wound Care Strategy for the NWT, including indicator tracking. You will need to use a holistic and sensitive approach to your patients, who may experience complex health issues, and as well as incorporate resources available to the individual within the family, health care setting, community organizations and the community at large!
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
- A minimum of a Baccalaureate degree in Nursing, and five (5) years recent nursing experience, or equivalency, in the care and management of ostomy, wound, and continence problems.
- A Certificate in Enterostomal Therapy Nursing or a Certificate of completion of a recognized Wound Ostomy Continence program.
- Proof of immunization in keeping with current public health practices is required.
- Must be able to obtain Certification with the Canadian Nurses Association as a Nurse Specialized in Wound, Ostomy and Continence (WOCC(c)) (formerly known as Certification as an Enterostomal Therapy Nurse (CETN(c)) within the first 5 years if not already certified.
- Registration with the Registered Nurses Association of the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Possess a Class 5 Driver’s License, a satisfactory Driver’s Abstract, and be willing to drive in inclement weather.
- Ability to acquire knowledge of community resources.
- Ability to travel to communities/regions in the NWT.
- Membership in the Association for Nurses Specialized in Wound, Ostomy and Continence Canada (NSWOCC) (formerly the Canadian Association for Enterostomal Therapy (CAET) is preferred.
- Maintain and improve current knowledge and practice in Wound, Ostomy, and Continence nursing through professional continuing education activities.
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention.
- Basic CPR certification.
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
YELLOWKNIFE CENTRE 5TH FLOOR
BOX 1320 YELLOWKNIFE NT X1A 2L9
Tel (867) 767-9154 Extension 14106
Fax (867) 873-0445
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector check if they are contacted for an interview. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain proof of current up-to-date immunization status.
Registration with the Registered Nurses Association of the Northwest Territories and Nunavut is mandatory for this position.
Must be able to obtain Certification with the Canadian Nurses Association as a Nurse Specialized in Wound, Ostomy and Continence (WOCC(c)) (formery known as Certification as an Enterostomal Therapy Nurse (CETN(c)) within the first 5 years if not already certified. Membership in the Association for Nurses Specialzed in Wounds, Ostomy and Continence Canada (NSWOCC) (formerly the Canadian Association for Enterostomal Therapy (CAET) is preferred.
For more information on health and social services careers and practicing in the Northwest Territories please visit www.practiceNWT.ca
Driver's License Requirement
A mandatory requirement for this position is a valid Class 5 Driver's License
The incumbent in this position will be required to travel to communities / Regions in the NWT.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Transfer Assignments may be considered.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 19383
Closing Date: December 7, 2020 - 23:59, Mountain Time
The salary range for this position is from $47.68 per hour to $56.96 per hour (approximately $92,976 - $111,072.) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $3,700