Advisor, Forum of Labour Market Ministers Secretariat
The Department of Education, Culture and Employment (ECE) provides the residents of the Northwest Territories with access to quality programs, services and support to assist them in making informed and productive choices for themselves and their families with regard to education, training, careers, employment and labour, child development, languages, culture and heritage.
The Advisor is responsible for providing strategic policy advice and analysis on issues that support the policy direction, major initiatives and meetings of Ministers, Deputy Ministers and other senior officials in the coordination, facilitation and implementation of the activities of the Forum of Labour Market Ministers (FLMM) Secretariat to achieve its mandate.
Located in Yellowknife and reporting to the Director, FLMM Secretariat, the Advisor provides analysis, advice and recommendations to the Director, as well as counterparts across Canada in order to facilitate, the implementation and accountability of priorities set by Ministers,Deputy Ministers (DMs) and Senior Officials.
As the Secretariat of a federal-provincial-territorial (FPT) body, the incumbent is required to have significant intergovernmental experience including a sound understanding of economic, labour market and political conditions and considerations of all jurisdictions in order to provide strategic advice to the Director in the administration and coordination of the Secretariat, and build and maintain effective intergovernmental relationships in sometime challenging circumstances.
The Advisor also promotes opportunities to achieve greater efficiency of resources, builds on the expertise of others, increases mobility and minimizes unnecessary repetition and duplication of effort. The position is required and expected to contribute to FPT working groups, engage experts, and secure support from various departments, agencies and governments.
Finally, the incumbent is responsible for administering an online information portal and document repository. The FLMM Secretariat uses an electronic information management portal to coordinate meetings, store and disseminate key governance and briefing materials, and to correspond among FPT governments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Broad knowledge about the national, provincial/territorial and domestic political environments and other governments' positions and policies and be capable of assessing possible implications.
- Broad knowledge about the complex system of governance in the NWT and the NWT's economic, social, cultural environment.
- Ability to be creative, focused on offering solutions and work well in a team environment.
- High proficiency in project management and an ability to manage large and small projects from pre-planning to implementation and evaluation.
- Must be able to work in highly stressful situations.
- Ability to work with a wide range of computer applications including word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software.
- Ability to effectively lead and motivate people from different jurisdictions adhering to different mandates.
- Strong communication skills, with strong negotiation and diplomatic skills, in order to calmly and assertively express and defend views.
- Strong strategic-thinking skills and judgment, as well as a demonstrated ability to research, analyze and synthesize multiple concepts and priorities.
- Proficient in Microsoft office products (Excel, word, PowerPoint, etc.) as well, as having general knowledge on electronic information management processes and systems.
Typically attained by:
- An undergraduate degree in the social sciences, humanities, education, economics or related field;
- Three (3) years’ experience working in policy, research, labour market, economic development and/or intergovernmental affairs; and
- One (1) year of experience working with IT and/or web based solutions.
French is preferred.
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
YELLOWKNIFE CENTRE 5TH FLOOR
BOX 1320 YELLOWKNIFE NT X1A 2L9
Tel (867) 767-9154 Extension 14106
Fax (867) 873-0445
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.
This job opening is for a two (2) year term position.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 19596
Closing Date: February 3, 2021 - 23:59, Mountain Time
Salary for this position is currently Under Review.