Senior Finance Officer
The Department of Education, Culture and Employment (ECE) provides the residents of the Northwest Territories with access to quality programs, services and support to assist them in making informed and productive choices for themselves and their families with regard to education, training, careers, employment and labour, child development, languages, culture and heritage.
Under the direction of the Manager, Divisional Financial Services, the Senior Finance Officer provides financial and administrative services to the Income Security Programs Division. The Senior Finance Officer must comply with the Financial Administration Act:, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and departmental policies and procedures. The incumbent also supervises three Finance Officer - Revenue and Collection positions.
Income Security Programs assist eligible NWT residents to meet their basic financial needs and assists with post-secondary educational expenses through the Student Financial Assistance (SFA) program. The department administers approximately $40 million in assistance to NWT residents through a number of social and financial assistance based programs.
The Senior Finance Officer interprets relevant legislation, policies and procedures and provides advice to the public, program delivery staff and management. The incumbent has regular contact with the public, other service providers, ECE Management Services, educational institutions, travel agents, contractors, and senior management. The position requires a broad knowledge of general accounting and seasoned understanding of GNWT procedures, policies and processes, in-depth working knowledge of the GNWT's System for Accountability and Management (SAM).
This position also processess and reviews payable transactions. The Senior Finance Officer exercises spending authority up to $50,000.
Critical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledgeable in all aspects of financial operation
- Knowledge and working experience with modular accounting systems
- Government, department, and division practices as they relate to customer service, allowable data requests, privacy and access to information, allowable use of electronic tools, and communication standards for verbal and written interaction
- Thorough understanding of the Case Management Administration System (CMAS), Loan Manager Plus and PeopleSoft Financial (SAM)
- Data management techniques, including calculations and computations, to produce useful information for decision makers and the public
- Oral and written communication skills require the versatility to interact with all levels of management, staff, the public, and government personnel including those from other jurisdictions
- Leadership skills such as assessment and evaluation, motivation and self-management
- Time management is critical as a multiple of different tasks must be regularly accomplished. Could involve reprioritizing of work on a daily basis
- Proven ability to work well with a diverse group of individuals under strict deadlines
- Ability to supervise staff and give positive or mixed feedback for developmental purposes.
These skills are typically obtained through a business administration or commerce university degree with a major in accounting with 3 years of directly related accounting experience and one year experience in Income Security Programs.
Supervisory experience is an asset.
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
YELLOWKNIFE CENTRE 5TH FLOOR
BOX 1320 YELLOWKNIFE NT X1A 2L9
Tel (867) 767-9154 Extension 14106
Fax (867) 873-0445
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 19630
Closing Date: January 26, 2021 - 23:59, Mountain Time
The salary range for this position is from $44.63 per hour to $46.96 per hour (approximately $87,029 - $91,572) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $3,700.