Geotechnical Data Scientist
The Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment (ITI) works through wide-ranging partnerships and initiatives to deliver quality programs and services that promote and support economic development, diversification and prosperity in the interest of Northwest Territories residents – their businesses and communities.
As the Geotechnical Data Scientist, you will conceive, initiate and conduct scientific studies that increase the knowledge of permafrost conditions around communities, key infrastructure corridors, and areas of development, cultural and environmental significance.
Critical knowledge, skills and abilities for this position are:
• Knowledge of scientific principles and techniques pertaining to permafrost and geotechnical research and monitoring, and/or engineering, including field-based data acquisition, management, and analysis
• Knowledge of the drivers that influence permafrost conditions, especially those related to surficial geology and geomorphic processes in northern Canada
• Knowledge of the linkages between: (i) permafrost and geotechnical information, and; (ii) data compilation and data usage for assessing terrain conditions or in engineering design
• Knowledge of the methods, techniques, and practices of digital information management, including manipulation, interpretation, digitization, retrieval, and storage of data
• Knowledge of data management principles and appropriate data structures for permafrost and geotechnical information
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by a minimum of a Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree in Geology, Geography, or related field, or with a M. Sc. in Engineering with a specialization in geotechnical or geological sub-disciplines, with expertise in permafrost environments and at least two years of work experience in industry, academia, or a government agency in a related capacity.
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
YELLOWKNIFE CENTRE 5TH FLOOR
BOX 1320 YELLOWKNIFE NT X1A 2L9
Tel (867) 767-9154 Extension 14106
Fax (867) 873-0445
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 19780
Closing Date: March 8, 2021 - 23:59, Mountain Time
Salary for this position is currently Under Review.