Principal - Chief Julian Yendo School
Dehcho Divisional Education Council
Dehcho Divisional Education Council invites applications, for the 2021-2022 school year, from certified teachers who are dedicated to teaching and have experience with the cultural, linguistic and traditional heritage of the Dene. Wrigley is remote community with road access limited by ferry crossing for seven months of the year. This Junior Kindergarten to grade 9 school has a population of 20 students.
Due to restrictive housing options in the community a teaching couple or teachers willing to share accommodations are sought for these positions.
AVAILABLE POSITIONS: Teacher/Principal (FT, TERM 1- 5 YRS)
The principal supervises four staff members: a teacher, an Aboriginal Language Teacher, Support Assistant and Custodian. S/He is responsible for the administrative duties and reporting required. The principal will provide leadership to staff and work with the District Education Authority in a professional and supportive manner.
• Must hold, or be eligible for a Professional N.W.T. Teaching Certificate.
• Must hold N.W.T. Principal Certification or must have completed or be willing to complete the Education Leadership Program.
• Should have a minimum of five years experience teaching at the JK – 9 levels.
• Should have proven experience of at least three years as an educational leader in the role of principal, assistant principal, or other administrative position.
• Active and consistent professional development.
• Competency with school-based technologies and applications.
• Should have training and teaching experience in cross-cultural and multi-grade, inclusive classroom situation.
• Knowledge and/or experience with Self Regulation
• Differentiated Instruction and Positive Behavior Support.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Priority for Northwest Territories Teachers' Association positions shall be granted as follows:
- Priority 1: Teachers who have received official lay-off notice;
- Priority 2: Indigenous Aboriginal Persons;
- Priority 3: Indigenous Non-Aboriginal or Resident Disabled Person;
- Priority 4: Indeterminate Teachers eligible for Transfer or Promotion and not included in Priorities 2 & 3;
- Priority 5: Term teachers not included in Priorities 2 & 3;
- Priority 6: NWT Resident Teachers not employed by the GNWT or included in Priorities 2 & 3;
- Priority 7: Teachers who are not residents of the NWT and who are not included in Priorities.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Job Opening Information
Qualified applicants will submit a resume complete with references; the names of previous and current supervisors with a copy of the most recent performance review. Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to be given priority consideration under the GNWT’s Affirmative Action Policy. A satisfactory criminal record check from the RCMP should be provided if they are contacted for an interview.
Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Job ID: 20082
Closing Date: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Submit application information to:
Mr. Patrick Philipps
Dehcho Divisional Education Council
P.O. Box 376
Fort Simpson, NT X0E 0N0
Telephone: (867) 695-7300
Fax: (867) 695-7359
Dehcho Divisional Education Council provides a smoke free work environment and supports Affirmative Action candidates.
Salary for this position is currently Under Review.