Home Support Worker
The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) offers challenging and exciting careers in health and social services delivery and administration in Canada’s North. The Territorial Authority has service locations in communities across the territory and a staff of more than 1,600 serving over 43,000 residents of the NWT and 5,900 residents of the Kitikmeot Region of Nunavut. Challenging work, welcoming communities, and expanded opportunities are some of the benefits offered to employees of the NTHSSA.
The NTHSSA administers all public health, home care, general physician services and social services delivered in Fort Simpson, Fort Liard, Fort Providence, Wrigley, Jean Marie River, Sambaa K'e, Nahanni Butte, Kakisa and the Hay River Reserve. The NTHSSA provides and supports the delivery of community based health care services to adults and children in order to enhance the health and well-being of communities through excellence, accountability and respect for regional diversity.
KNOWLEDGE. SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of and an ability to apply first aid and CPR in order to preserve life and promote healing;
• Knowledge of and an ability to provide basic home nursing and support;
• Knowledge of drugs and drug interaction;
• Knowledge of healthy aging process;
• Knowledge of traditional healing methods as well as community and cultural norms;
• Ability to apply bandages, dressings and splints;
• Ability to use personal care assistance equipment (including but not limited to Hoyer Lift, Commode Tub, etc.);
• Ability to speak, read, and write English (this includes an ability to follow verbal and written instruction from health care personnel and able to interpret health information accurately);
• Ability to speak, and understand the local aboriginal language;
• Essential to have a Class 5 driver's license for transporting self and clients in the line of duty;
• Demonstrate a healthy lifestyle;
• Have an appreciation of the importance of confidentiality and be able to keep personal and medical information private and confidential at all times;
• An ability to control strong emotions such as anger, frustration, fear and/or stress;
• An ability to alter normal procedures or ways of working to fit a specific situation in order to get the job done;
• An ability to break down problems into simple lists of tasks or activities;
• An ability to demonstrate objective and active listening and behave in a helpful and responsive manner (this includes being able to seek out the facts and pertinent information before drawing conclusions);
• An ability to follow through on client inquiries and requests. This includes keeping the client up to date on their health status;
• An ability to participate in groups willingly and support team decisions (i.e. is a "good team player").
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
The successful completion of a Personal Support Worker program or equivalent and 6 months experience in Home support.
Dehcho HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
9602 100 STREET
FORT SIMPSON, NT X0E 0N0
Tel (867) 695-7233
Fax (867) 695-3254
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.
This Job opening is for a Part-time position
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain proof of current up-to-date immunization status.
Driver's License Requirement
A mandatory requirement for this position is a valid Class 5 Driver's License
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) is committed to promoting, protecting, and providing for the health and wellbeing of the people of the Northwest Territories. In order to decrease the risk of workers contracting and/or spreading vaccine preventable communicable diseases in NTHSSA workplaces, unless specifically stated, the NTHSSA will require all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of January 11, 2022. Candidates must provide proof that they have met the vaccination requirements or provide a valid medical or Human Rights exemption to complete the hiring process.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 22759
Closing Date: OCTOBER 6, 2022 - 23:59, Mountain Time
The salary range for this position is from $34.20 per hour to $40.85 per hour (approximately $33,345 - $39,829.) plus a pro-rated annual Northern Allowance.