Relief Support Assistant
This job opening is limited to residents living within 25 kilometres of Deline, NT.
Sahtu Divisional Education Council.
At the discretion of the Principal, the Relief Support Assistant reports to the Principal, Program Support Teacher and/or Classroom Teachers. The Relief Support Assistant is responsible for assisting with implementing specialized and modified learning and education activities in order to provide a positive learning experience for students with diverse needs. The position is responsible for working with designated students either individually or in small groups to provide academic assistance. The Relief SA may work in the classroom or in other areas of the school.
Support services provided will have a direct impact on students and their families. It will increase the likelihood of students remaining in the education system and gaining the skills required to be successful in life. Support services will have a direct impact on students within the classroom by ensuring that students receive the required level of attention from the Classroom Teacher or another adult in the room.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge relating to child development, disabilities and other challenges faced by students and the effects of living with a disability or challenge.
• Knowledge of formal and informal learning strategies and inclusive schooling philosophies
• Ability to provide instruction in core academic subjects (reading, writing, mathematics) to students in a wide range of grade levels.
• Ability to read and comprehend appropriate materials, including reading and mathematics textbooks at a basic understanding of teaching, instruction and classroom management techniques.
• Ability to acquire knowledge of the goals, objectives and operations of the school and DEA as well as the local people and culture.
• Ability to apply interpersonal and verbal, written, and listening communication skills.
• Ability to acquire knowledge relating to community resources and services.
• Planning and organization, and time management skills.
• Ability to read and understand instructions, IEPs, meeting minutes, and communications.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
High School / Secondary School diploma, and related experience in an educational environment. Equivalencies will be considered.
Sahtu HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
2 MCKENZIE DRIVE
NORMAN WELLS NT X0E 0V0
Tel (867) 587-7150
Fax (867) 587-2173
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.
This job opening is for a Relief position where there are no established hours of work on a daily, weekly or monthly basis and may be required to report to work on an as and when required basis for facilities where services operate on a daily basis throughout the entire year.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 23505 Closing Date: Open until filled.
The salary for this position starts at $34.20 per hour plus an annual Northern Allowance