Environmental Services Worker
The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) offers challenging and exciting careers in health and social services delivery and administration in Canada’s North. The Territorial Authority has service locations in communities across the territory and a staff of more than 1,600 serving over 43,000 residents of the NWT and 5,900 residents of the Kitikmeot Region of Nunavut. Challenging work, welcoming communities, and expanded opportunities are some of the benefits offered to employees of the NTHSSA.
The incumbent works as part of a team of Environmental Services Workers and is responsible for the cleaning and infection control of the long-term care rooms, isolation rooms, palliative care suite, specialty areas, all administration offices and boardrooms, assigned staff accommodation and snow clearing of facility entrances. The facility and tasks may be routine, and the position may receive little recognition from patients and staff. The job holder must be available to work shifts as assigned, including days, evenings, nights and weekends.
The incumbent is responsible to handle and clean all laundry and linens for the facility in accordance with the NTHSSA and Sahtu Region policies and procedures, Accreditation Canada Standards, Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS) and other applicable standards.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of methods, standards and procedures for cleaning a health facility to ensure infection control and a safe and hygienic environment.
• Knowledge of cleaning procedures, infection control procedures, chain of infection and quality assurance and accreditation standards.
• Knowledge of methods, standards and procedures for handling and cleaning laundry and linens in a health facility to ensure infection control and a safe and hygienic environment.
• Knowledge of laundry procedures, infection control procedures, chain of infection and quality assurance and accreditation standards.
• Knowledge of cleaning compounds and materials.
• Knowledge of the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) as it applies to cleaning.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
• High School Diploma / Secondary School Diploma (Grade 12)
• Experience working directly within a Health Care Facility in a capacity of either housekeeping and/or laundry services is preferred. Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Sahtu HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
2 MCKENZIE DRIVE
NORMAN WELLS NT X0E 0V0
Tel (867) 587-7150
Fax (867) 587-2173
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.
This position involves a Rotating/Irregular Shift Schedule which may change due to operational requirements.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain proof of current up-to-date immunization status.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID #24292 Closing Date: Open till filled
The salary for this position starts at $26.37 per hour (approximately $51,421.50 per annum) plus an annual Northern Allowance.