Court Officer 1, Territorial Court
This Job Opening is limited to Aboriginal Persons indigenous to the present boundaries of the Northwest Territories and includes any aboriginal person resident at birth and any Canadian aboriginal persons who have lived more than half of their life in the Northwest Territories.
The mandate of the Department of Justice is to administer justice, including policing, community justice, victims services and corrections in the Northwest Territories. This mandate will be carried out in a manner which respects community and indigenous values and encourages communities to assume increasing responsibilities.
Located in Hay River and reporting to the Manager, Territorial Court, the Court Officer 1 position provides registry services and courtroom support for criminal and civil matters to the Territorial Court of the Northwest Territories, Justice of the Peace and to the Youth Justice Court. This position ensures the efficient operation of the Courts in the courtroom and chambers, exercises statutory authority in accepting and processing court documents, and prepares documents for court sittings.
Some of the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position are:
- Ability to interpret and explain the Rules of Court and federal and territorial legislation that govern court action;
- Ability to understand the role of an officer of the court and the independence of the Judiciary is required to perform statutory duties;
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy when dealing with clients;
- Ability to write well and accurate record information;
- Must have public speaking skills in order to read charges, open and close court, etc;
- Must be self motivated, detail oriented, organized and able to work independently in a fast paced, multi task environment that requires polices and procedures to be adhered to under strict time constraints;
- Accurate data entry skills and computer knowledge and ability consistent with the need to operate in a computerized environment.
The above knowledge, skills and abilities are typically attained by:
Successful completion of Grade 12 with 2 or 3 years' experience working independently in a multifaceted office environment involving dealing with the public and meeting deadlines.
Hay River HR Client Service Centre
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
209 - 62 WOODLAND DRIVE
HAY RIVER, NT X0E 1G1
Tel (867) 875-8086
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.
Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive priority consideration under the Affirmative Action Policy.
Criminal Records Check
Candidates must provide a satisfactory criminal record check. Failure to provide a satisfactory check may deem you disqualified from the competition.
Diversity and Inclusion
The Government of the Northwest Territories is an inclusive workplace. If you have a disability and you require support during the hiring process, you are encouraged to identify your needs if you are contacted for an assignment or interview so that you may be accommodated during the hiring process.
Eligibility lists may be created from this competition to fill future term and indeterminate positions.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Job Opening Information
Job Opening ID # 24750
Closing Date: February 23, 2024 - 23:59, Mountain Time
The salary range for this position is from $34.20 per hour to $40.85 per hour (approximately $66,690- $79,658.) plus an annual Northern Allowance of $4,711