Available 8 AM to 8 PM, 7 days a week. Call 1-833-378-8297 if outside NWT.
For general information about COVID-19, you can also email email@example.com. For questions on public health orders, enforcement, travel restrictions, and self-isolation you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Kami Kandola Twitter (NWT Chief Public Health Officer)
GNWT Corporate Facebook (GNWT)
NTHSSA Facebook (Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority)
What to expect when you call 8-1-1
The 8-1-1 operators will assist the caller by:
- Answering questions about COVID-19.
- Determining if they should contact their local health centre to arrange for testing using the assessment guide.
- Accepting credible, specific complaints of individuals not following public health orders for further consideration.
- Providing them contact info to local health care providers and resources.
- Providing contact information to other services as requested to help them during this time of physical distancing and self-isolation.
8-1-1 is not:
- A resource for clinical advice – if clinical advice is required, residents should call their primary health care provider or local health centre.
- A triage system to determine order of priority of who will be seen in a health centre or hospital.
- A source of pharmaceutical information – we encourage everyone to contact their local pharmacy and/or health care professional if they have questions about their medication.
The lines will be staffed from 8 AM to 8 PM, with the exception of the Protect NWT enforcement line, which will have on-call staff available 24 hours a day. All lines will run seven-days-a-week. Interpretation services will be available for those who need it. This will allow all NWT residents to get all their COVID-19 questions answered at one easily-remembered number.