Leisure travel is not allowed at this time in the NWT. However, the following non-resident travellers may qualify for a travel exemption:

Travellers from Nunavut

Travellers applying for this exemption must have been in Nunavut or the NWT for at least the past 14 days. They will not qualify for an exemption if they have transited through another jurisdiction outside Nunavut or the NWT on their way to the NWT.

See Travel Exemptions

Booked remote tourism guests

The Office of the Chief Public Health Officer (OCPHO) is allowing remote tourism activities to resume in the NWT under certain conditions.

If you would like to come to the NWT for remote tourism purposes, you must have a trip booked with an approved Remote Tourism Operator. These Operators must submit a Remote Tourism Operators COVID-19 Operations Plan to the OCPHO for authorization to host out-of-territory clients at remote sites in the NWT.

To ensure out-of-territory visitors can self-isolate while NWT visitors and residents remain safe, these tourism operators must demonstrate that they can carry out business with no, or very minimal, contact between travellers and NWT residents who are not employees of the remote tourism operation.

Self-isolation and testing requirements for exempt tourists are the same as for residents and vary depending on vaccination status. 

Exempt tourists who have travelled to other parts of Canada (not applicable outside Canada) and are fully vaccinated no longer need to self-isolate upon return to the NWT. However, they are still required to submit a Self-Isolation Plan (SIP) so that the OCPHO is aware of your travel for contact tracing purposes if necessary.

See Travel Exemptions

Individuals travelling under compassionate, family reunification or exceptional circumstances 

The Office of the Chief Public Health Officer considers the following types of exemptions for non-resident travellers when it is necessary to visit the NWT:

  • Compassionate Exemptions: Such as a death or illness in the family; childcare needs; or, fleeing domestic violence
  • Family Reunification Exemptions: For immediate family members and close relations to maintain the emotional well-being of NWT residents.
  • Exceptional Circumstances: Such as the retrieval or drop off of family member or property; or, pre-relocation house hunting trip.

See Travel Exemptions

Non-resident international travellers

At this time, non-resident international travellers may only enter the NWT if they have an exemption from the Chief Public Health Officer (CPHO). Leisure travel within the NWT by international travellers is currently not permitted unless they are legally entitled to be in Canada and have an exemption from the CPHO for the purposes of participating in remote tourism activities with an approved remote tourism operator.

Non-resident international travellers may also request a consideration for exemption from self-isolation. The OCPHO will review their specific individual circumstances on a case-by-case basis. This is separate from their request for exemption to travel within the NWT.