Government of Canada Supports
The Government of Canada has a variety of programs that are available to Canadians and businesses who are facing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Canada’s programs for individuals are:
- Employment Insurance
- Canada Recovery Benefit
- Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit
- Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit
Canada increased the number of weeks of benefits available for workers eligible for Employment Insurance regular benefits, as well as for the Canada Recovery Benefit, the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit and the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit.
Canada has not indicated whether the Recovery Benefits will be extended past October 23, 2021.
Government of the Northwest Territories Supports
Residents who are experiencing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic are encouraged to apply for Income Assistance.
- The Income Assistance program provides financial assistance to residents to assist with their basic and enhanced needs. These needs include shelter, food, utilities, clothing and allowances for persons with permanent disabilities or aged. In order to qualify for Income Assistance, applicants must have a need greater than their income.
- Residents in Yellowknife, Ndılǫ, Dettah, Behchokǫ̀ and Whatı̀ should contact their local ECE Regional or Community Service Centre for additional information on applying for Income Assistance.
- ECE Regional and Community Service Centres remain open, however, have limited in-person access. Client Services Officers are available to respond to any questions or to assist in completing an application by telephone or email.
- On July 1, 2021, the GNWT amended the NWT Employment Standards Act to introduce Emergency Leave, which allows workers to access unpaid, job-protected leave when they are unable to work because of an emergency. NWT workers who are unable to work for reasons related to the COVID-19 pandemic may be eligible for this leave. For more information, please contact the Employment Standards Office.
Phone: (867) 767-9351 ext. 71469
Toll Free: (888) 700-5707
For more information, please visit www.ece.gov.nt.ca/employmentstandards
Labour Market Program
The Labour Market Recovery Program launched on February 1, 2021 and closed on March 31, 2021. The program was developed to support broad sectors of our economy in response to the pandemic, and the following supports were provided:
- 53 wage subsidy applications were approved, for a total of $1.82M
- 2 Project fund applications were approved, for $37,300
- 20 communities are accessed Labour Market Recovery Funding, for a total of $488,500
In response to current impacts on the labour market due to the pandemic, ECE is exploring options to provide additional LMRP funding. The Department will share information with the public once program details have been determined.