In most cases, symptoms of COVID-19 appear within 5-7 days, but can take up to 14 days after exposure.
You can infect others even if you aren’t showing symptoms.
COVID-19 symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- New or worsening cough
- Generally feeling unwell
- Abdominal pain
- Muscle aches
- Fatigue or weakness
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
- Loss of sense of smell/taste
- Skin changes or rashes
- Loss of appetite
- Severe acute respiratory distress syndrome
If you have shortness of breath or difficulty breathing – call 9-1-1. If you have any other symptoms, take this online self assessment tool. This self-assessment tool is to help determine whether you should visit a health care provider for further COVID-19 related assessment and testing.
High risk groups
- Older adults
- People with chronic disease (for example: diabetes, cancer, heart, renal, or chronic lung disease)
- Those with weakened immune systems
- Lessons learned from the NJ Macpherson School outbreak in Yellowknife mean we need to be vigilant when screening symptoms in schools. May students are vulnerable if too young to get vaccinated. Please follow the symptom screening protocols for schools for the remainder of the 2020-21 school year:
- Daily Symptom Screening Tool for Students and Staff: https://www.gov.nt.ca/covid-19/sites/covid/files/resources/cv19_daily_symptom_screening_tool_for_students-staff.pdf
- My Child has symptoms of COVID-19: What happens next?: https://www.gov.nt.ca/covid-19/sites/covid/files/resources/cv19_factshee...
Self-isolation symptom checks
Most people who travel to the NWT are required to submit a self-isolation plan. ProtectNWT is working with Statistics Canada to administer manual symptom checks. Statistics Canada will contact you directly by phone on Days 2, 6, 10 and 14 of the self-isolation period to ensure symptom checks are completed (mandatory even if self-isolation is not required). Your personal information will not be used for any other purpose. If you choose not to provide information to Statistics Canada, you are required to provide mandatory symptom checks by calling ProtectNWT at 811 or 1-833-378-8297 or online at firstname.lastname@example.org.