Emerging Wisely for Business
The WSCC is working to support the OCPHO to help employers and workers stay safe. Under the Safety Act and OHS Regulations, all employers are legally responsible to take every reasonable precaution to ensure the health and safety of workers. That responsibility has not changed. WSCC will work with employers and industry associations through educational materials, online information sessions, and workplace inspections to help local businesses and organizations continue to run services and plan to restart safely.
Every workplace is different and will have different requirements. All employers must be able demonstrate that they are running their workplaces safely and that they have identified what additional safety measures and controls are in place in response to COVID-19. For more details about what is required during each phase for individual business types to resume operation, please see Appendix A of the Emerging Wisely Plan.
Here is what you need to do:
- Complete an Exposure Control Plan
- Meet the requirements for your type of business in Appendix A of the Emerging Wisely Plan.
- Perform a Risk Assessment and Worksite Precaution Plan
- Make sure workers perform a Field Level Risk Assessment, for their particular job or task, for example, if they perform work off-site such as delivering goods, providing services at a worksite owned by a different business, or providing services at someone’s home.
- Develop, and provide training to workers about infection control and other protective measures workers must take to protect themselves.
Employers do not need approval from the WSCC to reopen once the OCPHO has lifted business restrictions. However, employers must have an Exposure Control Plan in place before they open to make sure that they are able to run their business safely.
Workers and employers with questions or concerns about managing the risks of exposure to COVID-19 for their workplace can visit the WSCC website for information or contact a WSCC OHS Inspector by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1-800 661-0792.
The following resources may be useful:
- WSCC COVID-19
- WSCC Workplace Risk Assessment
- WSCC Field Level Risk Assessment
- WSCC exposure control planning for COVID-19
- Advisory to NWT Workplaces, Offices, and Businesses
- Cleaning and Disinfecting Closed Work Camps
- Disinfectant User Guide
- Enhanced Cleaning Checklist
- Healthy Respiratory Practices
- Opening Your Business or Organization in Phase One
- Pandemic (COVID-19) Tip Sheets (Government of Canada)
- When to Use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Where to buy non-medical face coverings, PPE and cleaning supplies
- Running Day Camps During COVID-19
More in this section:
- Health Advice for Employers and Businesses
- GNWT Employee Information
- Social Distancing
- Essential Workers