Getting out on the Land

Last modified: 
Mon, 09/21/2020 - 15:41

The Chief Public Health Officer is recommending northerners spend time outdoors or on the land as a way to reduce the risk of potential exposure to COVID-19.

Harvesters should continue to engage in safe and responsible harvesting practices when out on the land, including social distancing.

Harvesting and enforcement

ENR officers continue to conduct regular air and ground patrols throughout the Northwest Territories, including in the no-harvest zone for Bathurst caribou.

Hunters who harvest illegally or waste wildlife could face penalties under the Wildlife Act.

To view the Current Mobile Core Bathurst Caribou Management Zone, click here.

Canol Trail / Mile 222
Due to current COVID-19 travel restrictions, the Canol Trail / Mile 222 area can only be accessed by air this year. NWT hunters attempting to reach the area by road may be in violation of NWT Public Health Orders, and may be charged. For more information on travel restrictions and self-isolation, contact:


Fishing licences continue to be available online.

Licences may also be available in-person through private vendors that continue to operate. Please call ahead.


ENR will continue to buy fur and hides from eligible hunters and trappers. Residents will now need to make an appointment to drop off their furs. Please call your local or regional ENR office to arrange to meet with an ENR officer.

Free Timber Cutting Permits

All free timber cutting permits have been automatically extended and now expire on July 31, 2020.

If you do not currently hold a timber cutting permit, and would like a permit for this year, please call your local or regional ENR office.

Outfitters and big game hunters

All NWT outfitting operators are closed by order of the Chief Public Health Officer, as these businesses do not allow for suitable distancing measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

ENR office closures

As part of our response to COVID-19, ENR is closing its local and regional offices until further notice. ENR officers will continue to be available by appointment.

Please call your local or regional ENR office to arrange to meet with an officer.