Planning to travel to the NWT? Complete your Self-isolation plan:
A self-isolation plan is a legal commitment to self-isolate when you arrive in the NWT, and is enforceable under the territory’s COVID-19 public health orders.
With few exceptions, everyone arriving in the NWT must self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival as that is how long it can take for symptoms of COVID-19 to show. Fully vaccinated individuals and household members are eligible for shortened self-isolation.
Getting tested on arrival when people show no symptoms is not accurate as there may not be enough amounts of the virus in their bodies to give a positive result. This means that people may get a negative test, but still have the virus and pass it on to others during the first 14 days in the NWT.
As part of the self-isolation plan residents must consider:
- Where and who they will be staying with for their 14 days of self-isolation:
- With few exceptions, all individuals must self-isolate at an approved self-isolation location. Approved locations include Yellowknife, Hay River, Inuvik, Fort Smith, Fort Simpson and Norman Wells. The GNWT has designated isolation centres in Yellowknife, Hay River, Inuvik and Fort Smith for anyone who does not have a place to safely self-isolate.
- Are they living with anyone who is at a higher risk for getting seriously sick from COVID-19?
- Are they or the people they are living with fully vaccinated against COVID-19? This will change self-isolation requirements for the individual and household members. See Self-Isolation for Vaccinated Individuals for more information.
- How will they travel to their self-isolation location
- Making arrangements for necessary supports during their self-isolation:
- Child Care
- Cleaning supplies
- Pet care
- Social or family support
Fully Vaccinated Individuals
- Individuals who are fully vaccinated can get tested for COVID-19 on the eighth day of the 14-day self-isolation period. If test results are negative for COVID-19, then only self-monitoring is necessary for the remainder of the 14-day time frame. For more information see Self-Isolation for Vaccinated Individuals.
- Fully vaccinated household members who did not travel do not need to self-isolate with you, only self-monitor.
- Essential workers have different self-isolation protocols. For more information see Essential Workers.
Completing your self-isolation plan
- Completing the resident self-isolation plan
- Resident SIP form
- Completing the worker self-isolation plan
- Worker SIP form