Leaving the NWT
Making the choice to stay at home and to not travel outside of the NWT is the best way to protect yourself, your family, and our communities from the spread of COVID-19, and to support our health system in responding to this pandemic.
If you have plans to travel, you should consider contacting your airline or tour operator to determine options for cancelling or postponing your trip.
Residents outside of Canada should find out what commercial options are still available to return to Canada and should consider returning to Canada earlier than planned if these options are becoming limited.
Although not advised, if you are still considering travel outside of Canada, you should do the following:
- check your destination before travelling
- know the health risks for your destination
- understand the risks of your safety and security abroad
- ensure that you have enough finances and necessities, including medication, in case your travels are disrupted
- be prepared if airlines revise scheduled flights to and from your destination
If you travel abroad, you could be subject to the measures of other countries. Your scheduled trip may become much longer. You may also have reduced access to quality health care and your travel health insurance will likely not provide coverage in a pandemic.
The Chief Public Health Officer would also like to reiterate that you should avoid all travel on cruise ships due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, until further notice.