Travellers arriving in the NWT
Unless otherwise directed by the Chief Public Health Officer, travellers arriving in the NWT must mandatorily self-isolate for 14 days in Yellowknife, Inuvik, Hay River or Fort Smith only. NWT residents cannot self-isolate in a small community or other regional centre other than the four listed communities if they have returned from outside the NWT.
This is a measure to avoid overwhelming health centres in small remote communities and ensure those exposed to COVID-19 are close a well-equipped hospital care.
You will need to:
- If you are an NWT resident, complete the approved self-isolation plan within 24 hours and complete and submit the symptom check form to Protect NWT online or bycalling Protect NWT at 8-1-1 on your 2nd, 6th, 10th and 14th days of self isolation.
- If you are not an existing NWT resident, complete the approved self-isolation plan and have it approved before traveling within the NWT and complete and submit the symptom check form to Protect NWT online or by calling 8-1-1 on your 2nd, 6th, 10th and 14th days of self isolation.
- Monitor your health for symptoms of COVID-19.
- Follow healthy respiratory practices
- Complete the online self-assessment to determine whether you should be arranging for a test if you begin feeling sick. If you need to be tested, call a health care provider and they will give you further instructions. Do not go in without speaking to them by phone first.
There are additional isolation requirements that individuals must comply with when arriving in the NWT if they are: