The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (ENR) invited Northwest Territories (NWT) residents to have their say on the development of a Framework for Boreal Caribou Range Planning to guide the development of five regional boreal caribou range plans between, 2019 and 2023.
Boreal caribou are a Threatened species under federal and territorial species at risk legislation. External factors such as habitat disturbance from industrial development and forest fires can negatively impact the health and survival of boreal caribou populations. Range planning is necessary to ensure at least 65 per cent of the NWT range is maintained as undisturbed habitat.
Engagement feedback from February 8, 2017 to March 31, 2018
Results under review
This engagement was completed March 31, 2018
Have Your Say
Engagement sessions were held between April 2017 and September 2017, and during the spring of 2018 in the following communities:
- Cambridge Bay
- Fort Resolution
- Fort Smith
- Hay River
- Łutsel K’e
- Wollaston Lake, Black Lake, Fond du Lac, Saskatchewan
Comments and questions were also accepted by phone.
Next steps from the public engagement have been summarized in a What We Heard report.
A Framework for Boreal Caribou Range Planning was released in August, 2019.
- Fact Sheet
- Boreal Caribou Range Planning Framework - Discussion Document
- Boreal Caribou Range Planning Framework - Appendices
- NWT Species At Risk
- Status Report and Assessment of Boreal Caribou in the NWT (2012)
- Recovery Strategy for the Boreal Caribou in the NWT (2017)
- Consensus Agreement on Implementing the NWT Boreal Caribou Recovery Strategy (2017)
- Recovery Strategy for the Woodland Caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou), Boreal population, in Canada [Full Document]
- Scientific Assessment to Inform the Identification of Critical Habitat for Woodland Caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou)
- Report on the Progress of Recovery Strategy Implementation for the Woodland Caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou)
- Action Plan for the Woodland Caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou), Boreal Population, in Canada: Federal Actions (2018)
- Range Plan Guidance for Woodland Caribou, Boreal Population (2016)
- Policy on Critical Habitat Protection on Non-federal Lands [Proposed] (2016)