The GNWT is proposing amendments to the Petroleum Resources Act (PRA) and the Oil and Gas Operations Act (OGOA) as the first step in a longer-term review.
With Devolution in 2014, the laws governing petroleum production, exploration, and management were mirrored from the federal government when the jurisdiction shifted to the GNWT. Not everything in these laws makes sense for today’s Northwest Territories.
Amendments made at this stage will be designed to address one or more of the following goals.
- Resolving existing administrative and technical issues to create a more consistent and predictable regulatory environment.
- Enhancing transparency and public accountability throughout the PRA and the OGOA.
- Ensuring legislation reflects current risks, best practices and standards.
- Minimizing operational challenges in the administration of petroleum rights issuance and operations.
- Increasing competitiveness comparative to other jurisdictions to promote increased investment in NWT petroleum exploration and production.
Engagement feedback from March 5, 2018 to May 4, 2018
Results under review
This engagement was completed May 4, 2018
Have Your Say
Engagement sessions were held from March 5 to May 4, 2018:
- Fort Simpson
March 13, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
Fort Simpson Recreation Centre
- Fort Liard
March 14, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
Fort Liard Recreation Centre
- Norman Wells
March 26, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
Royal Canadian Legion
March 27, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
Ingamo Hall Friendship Centre
- Yellowknife (English)
April 9, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
Tree of Peace Friendship Centre
- Yellowknife (French)
April 10, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
Janvier Room, Explorer Hotel
- Hay River
April 13, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
More than 1,600 outreach communications were sent to encourage and inform engagement. A total of 258 pieces of input were received from 210 submissions.
Input has been summarized in a What We Heard report.
All written submissions will be reviewed and considered as policy development continues:
- Alternatives North
- Council of Canadians - NWT Chapter
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers
- Ecology North
- Inuvialuit Regional Corporation
- Imperial Oil Ltd.
- NWT Surface Rights Board
- Office of the Regulator of Oil and Gas Operations
- Robert Bromley
Proposed amendments and actions have been identified in an engagement paper.
- What We Heard report
- Engagement Paper: Updates to the NWT's Petroleum Legislation
- Written submissions
- Sharing Responsibility for Managing Land and Resources
- Transparency and Public Accountability
- Significant Discoveries
- Administrative and Technical Improvements
- Petroleum Resources Act: What is it?
- Petroleum Resources Act: interest and declaration types explained
- Petroleum resources in the NWT - conventional and unconventional
- Oil and Gas Operations Act: what is it?
- Six steps to better petroleum laws
- What are Petroleum Lands, how do they affect laws?