The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) and water partners are working on the next Water Stewardship Strategy Action Plan for 2021-2025.
The GNWT invited NWT residents to help shape the new Action Plan. This five-year Action Plan (2021-2025) will build on the momentum of the past two Action Plans, ensuring continued progress towards achieving the goals and vision of the Water Strategy.
Northern Voices, Northern Waters: The NWT Water Stewardship Strategy (Water Strategy) was developed in collaboration with water partners – anyone with a role in water stewardship in the Northwest Territories (NWT), including Indigenous, territorial and federal governments, Indigenous organizations, communities, regulatory boards, non-government organizations, industry and academic institutions.
Since the release in 2010, two five-year action plans (for 2011-2015 and 2016-2020) were developed with water partners to create a partnership-based approach to improve and promote water stewardship in the NWT.
The Water Strategy helps ensure that the waters of the NWT will remain clean, abundant and productive for all time. It sets a common path forward to steward our NWT waters. All water partners and all water users are encouraged to embrace the Water Strategy as a starting point for future actions. The goals of the strategy are to ensure:
- Waters that flow into, within or through the NWT are substantially unaltered in the quality, quantity and rates of flow.
- Residents have access to safe, clean and plentiful drinking water at all times.
- Aquatic ecosystems are healthy and diverse.
- Residents can rely on their water to sustain their communities and economies.
- Residents are involved in, and knowledgeable about, water stewardship.
- All those making water stewardship decisions work together to communicate and share information.
Engagement feedback from February 2, 2021 to March 15, 2021
Results under review
Have Your Say
NWT residents were invited to complete a survey until March 15, 2021.
Input was also accepted by email and by phone.
Comments received during this engagement period will be considered in the development of the Water Stewardship Strategy Action Plan 2021-2025. The Next Steps will also be summarized in a What We Heard report and made public once the new Action Plan is complete.
Questions about this engagement can be forwarded to email@example.com.