The GNWT is taking steps to build a Knowledge Economy Action Plan.
A knowledge economy exists where information and technology are used to benefit society, businesses, and communities.
This could be in the form of software, better partnerships between industries and government, or hobbyists turning new ideas into commercialized goods and services. A knowledge economy is supported by a stronger applied research sector, an expanding educated workforce, stronger partnerships and increased telecommunications services.
We’d like to hear from NWT residents and businesses to gather feedback on their views, and hear about the challenges and opportunities you’ve discovered working, living or starting a business in the NWT.
Examples of knowledge-based initiatives
- The completed Inuvik Satellite Station Facility (ISSF) allows renowned researchers from around the world to carry out their work with world-class satellite facilities;
- The transformation of Aurora College into a Polytechnic University will create knowledge economy opportunities for the next generations of students
- The completed Mackenzie Valley Fibre Line allows for high-speed interest in some of the most remote regions of the NWT.
There are also ideas that the NWT could further, including:
- Development and testing of cold climate products and technologies;
- Green technology for restoration and remediation of resource extraction sites;
- Implementing emerging technologies for remote service delivery.
The Knowledge Economy Action Plan will look to incorporate these ideas in with others for an overall knowledge economy strategy.
Les commentaires sont recueillis du 24 juin 2021 - 25 août 2021
Résultats en cours d'examen
Residents are invited to have their say online:
- Contribute your ideas in the Ideas section
- Take a survey on your thoughts about the NWT knowledge economy
- Virtually at one of our engagement webinars hosted by an independent research panel where you can join to discuss the NWT knowledge economy and the developing Knowledge Economy Action Plan (register here).
Your input will be reviewed and considered for the action plan.