YELLOWKNIFE (November 17, 2016) – Premier and Cabinet of the 18th Legislative Assembly met with the Akaitcho Dene First Nation leaders, Chief Felix Lockhart, Chief Edward Sangris, Chief Ernest Betsina and Sub-Chief Robert Sayine in Yellowknife November 15.
This was the third meeting of the Akaitcho Dene First Nation (ADFN) and the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) since they signed the Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding on May 23, 2013.
Premier McLeod and Chief Lockhart agreed that the intergovernmental meeting was an opportunity to discuss issues that impact the ADFN with the leaders who can bring about change. The meeting was also an opportunity for building and strengthening their government-to-government relationship with one another.
The meeting focused on areas of mutual interest, including:
- Land Use Planning in the Akaitcho territory; particularly in the Yellowknives Dene communities was discussed
- The GNWT offered to host a Regional Mineral Development Strategy session for the Akaitcho Territory
- The GNWT and ADFN agree to continue discussion on Barren ground and Boreal caribou management.
- The GNWT provided an updated on the current Fiscal situation
- The GNWT provided an update on Federal/Provincial/Territorial Meetings
- The ADFN provided an update on the YKDFN and City Boundary
- The GNWT provided an overview of the HSS System Transformation to the ADFN
- The Yellowknife River Pump House was discussed
- The Transboundary Water Management Intergovernmental Agreements were discussed
- The GNWT invited the ADFN to provide input into planning for the Canada 150 years celebrations & TRC Activities
- The GNWT invited ADFN to sign onto Devolution
- Strengthening relationships with Aboriginal governments is a priority of the 18th Legislative Assembly.
- The Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding recognizes the importance of the government-to-government relationship between the ADFN and the GNWT.
- The agreement commits both governments to meet twice per year.
For more information, contact:
Senior Cabinet Communications Advisor
Government of the Northwest Territories
867-767-9140 ext. 11091
Chief Felix Lockhart
Lutselk’e First Nations