HAY RIVER DENE RESERVE (September 1, 2016) – Premier Bob McLeod and Chief Roy Fabian of the Kátł’odeeche First Nation (KFN) met today on the Hay River Dene Reserve to sign an Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding.
“This Agreement represents a strong foundation for partnership between the Kátł’odeeche Fırst Natıon and the Government of the Northwest Territories. We are committed to working together to find ways to share information and collaborate on matters for the benefit of the Kátł’odeeche Fırst Natıon.”
- Bob McLeod, Premier of the Northwest Territories
“The Kátł’odeeche Fırst Natıon wants to clarify and strengthen its working relationship with the GNWT on a government-to-government basis, both on Reserve and within its traditional land use area. Open and respectful dialogue between the leaders is a good foundation for this relationship.”
- Roy Fabian, Chief of the Kátł’odeeche Fırst Natıon
- Strengthening relationships with Aboriginal governments is a priority of the 18th Legislative Assembly.
- The signing of the Memorandum of Understanding commits the Kátł’odeeche First Nation Chief and Council and the Premier of the Government of the Northwest Territories to meet together on an annual basis to discuss and address issues of mutual interest and concern.
- This Agreement will be in place for four years.
Senior Cabinet Communications Advisor
Department of Executive
Government of the Northwest Territories
Tel: 867-767-9140 ext. 11091
Director of Lands, Resources, and Negotiations
Kátł’odeeche First Nation
Tel: (867) 874-6701