YELLOWKNIFE (April 29, 2016) Premier Bob McLeod has named Ms. Kate Hearn as acting Deputy Minister of the Department of Lands.
Ms. Hearn replaces Mr. Mark Warren on May 8, who is retiring from the Government of the Northwest Territories.
“Ms. Hearn brings years of experience in Northern natural resources management, serving in positions with both the federal and territorial governments since moving North in 1987. I welcome her to her new position and look forward to the continuity she will provide in leading the Department of Lands. I would also like to thank outgoing Deputy Minister Mark Warren, who has provided exemplary service to the NWT in his career with the GNWT. ”
- Bob McLeod, Premier of the Northwest Territories
- Ms. Hearn came to the NWT in 1987 as an exploration geologist, working in the private sector.
- Ms. Hearn has a B.Sc. in geology from the University of Toronto and a Masters in Natural Resources Management from the University of Manitoba.
- She maintains a Professional Geologist accreditation with the Northwest Territories Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists.
- Ms. Hearn is currently the Assistant Deputy Minister of Planning and Coordination for Department of Lands.
- Her federal experience includes appointments as Director of Minerals and Petroleum Development (INAC), Director of Contaminants and Remediation (INAC), as well as long term acting assignments as a/Associate Regional Director General (AANDC NWT-Region) and acting Director General of the Northern Project Management Office in CanNor.
- Ms. Hearn was also Director of Land and Water Management Planning and Implementation for GNWT’s devolution office, supporting devolution negotiations and implementation in the subjects of waste sites, land and water management, and mirrored legislation.
- Mark Warren was appointed as Deputy Minister of the Department of Lands on April 1, 2014 with the devolution of land and resource management to the Government of the Northwest Territories.
- Mr. Warren has held a number of high-profile positions in the GNWT: Assistant Deputy Minister of Operations for the Department of the Executive, Assistant Deputy Minister of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (ENR), Associate Deputy Minister for the Northwest Territories Housing Corporation, and Assistant Deputy Minister in the Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs (now the Department of Aboriginal Affairs and Intergovernmental Relations).
Senior Cabinet Communications Advisor
Department of Executive
Government of the Northwest Territories
Tel: 867-767-9140 ext. 11091